Words for 2019

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Words for 2019

Postby bnjtokyo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:51 pm

As we start into the final quarter of 2019, articles on words that became prominent in 2019 have started to appear. Here is a link to one such list in The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... ds-of-2019

Note "pronoun." I posted about this development earlier, but to date no one has offered any suggestions on how I, as a second party addressing the first party, can make practical use of the addition of "pronouns: x/y" to the first party's signature.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Words for 2019

Postby Slava » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:07 pm

suggestions on how I, as a second party addressing the first party, can make practical use of the addition of "pronouns: x/y" to the first party's signature.

If, say, you do not already know the person, and see only the name Michael Smith, you might assume that person is a male. However, there are women with this name, too, so adding the pronouns bit makes that clear. The same holds for when someone identifies with a gender other than that assigned at birth, or any of the other possible variations that have come to be noticed and acknowledged in this time.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Res Diversae”