AP Spelling

You have letters - now what do you do with them?
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

AP Spelling

Postby Stargzer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:27 am

No, not Advanced Placement, as in the College Board tests, but the Associated Press. From this article:

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200604 ... TLKO0.html
Google also stands to profit from the calendar and other services, which help keep users moored at its own site instead of sending them to other places on the Web. That gives Google more chances to serve users adds, which account for most of its profits.
GAACK!

Methinks [sup]y[/sup]e editor for the AP must have run across a two-for-the-price-of-one sale on the letter d.

The correct word here is ads, short for advertisements, from ad, short for adversitement

Thank you for listening to this morning's rant! :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:18 pm

I'm with ya, Larry. This kind of oversight drives me to the brink. Not to mention the string of words alone should have caught someone's eye as barely intelligible... "...to serve users adds..."

-Tim

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:36 pm

Oh, I get along well enough in GeekSpeak to understand that in this sense to serve is a form of to serve up ads to a user, although it really comes from server, the hardware/software platform in a client/server relationship.

I could never be a real geek in the original sense (definition 2); I prefer my chickens pre-decapitated, de-feathered, butchered, and de-boned.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Spelling”