National Spelling Bee

You have letters - now what do you do with them?
april61
Junior Lexiterian

National Spelling Bee

Postby april61 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:09 pm

Do we have National Spelling Bee fans here? Our family has followed it the last few years. One of our daughters aspires to be the state bee champ--her last chance will be 2007.

In grace,
april
I'm from Wiscahhhhnsin, where our German ancestors warshed their close out in the crick...

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:25 pm

I've seen one on TV. I like it.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Huia Iesou
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Huia Iesou » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:52 am

I made it to Regionals in seventh grade but was knocked out with three left. Numbers one and two got to go on, of course.

In eighth grade the school didn't give me preferential seating and I misheard 'aggressor' as 'aggressive' or something like that. I had been planning to sweep it all before me and go on to Nationals.

Tell your daughter good luck! She's probably much smarter than I thought I was back then. :wink:

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:59 am

Saw the finals on television a week or two ago...I've always been a fan. I understood that the runner up this year was Canadian. Anyone know if this is true? If so, that doesn't exactly make it the "national" spelling bee...
Good luck to your daughter!

april61
Junior Lexiterian

Postby april61 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:20 am

That's right--second place was won by a Canadian. Students from any English-speaking country can enter the Scripps National Bee. I agree that "national" doesn't seem to fit.

Our daughter was 2nd at regionals this year--she didn't know the word "solder," even though we had studied it several months earlier. She has a good memory, but when I see those kids who remember every word they ever studied--like the 3rd place winner, who just rattled words off without thinking for a minute--I doubt if our girl would get far at nationals. It would be a privilege just to get there.

april
Saw the finals on television a week or two ago...I've always been a fan. I understood that the runner up this year was Canadian. Anyone know if this is true? If so, that doesn't exactly make it the "national" spelling bee...
Good luck to your daughter!
I'm from Wiscahhhhnsin, where our German ancestors warshed their close out in the crick...

april61
Junior Lexiterian

Postby april61 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:27 am

Tell your daughter good luck! She's probably much smarter than I thought I was back then. :wink:
Good job, Huia Iesou. :)

Two years ago at regionals, our daughter spelled "spatial" as "spacial" and was counted incorrect. If I had been on the ball, I would have questioned the judges about it, just in case spacial was an accepted variant....because, according to Webster's Third, it is a variant so should have been correct.

Spelling bees: a fun, but stressful occupation. We try not to take them too seriously.

In grace,
april

Return to “Spelling”