Is he a Realtor anymore?

You have letters - now what do you do with them?
brogine
Lexiterian

Is he a Realtor anymore?

Postby brogine » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

I have seen 'realtor' capitalized in at least four novels. Also 'any more' written a single word many times. Any comments?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Is he a Realtor anymore?

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:24 pm

I can't say I've seen realtor capitalized, but many two-word phrases are being united in un-spaced matrimony.

Add to your anymore:

freshwater/fresh water
everyday/every day

I'm blanking on other examples, Perhaps others would like to join in?

Is worldview an example here?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Regarding your first examples, I think the two versions have different meanings; adjective, modified noun. I think a similar bad marriage is "Please stay for awhile", also - lamentably - much seen recently. As to 'worldview, I've always used a single word, but I see the OED has it hyphenated.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Be glad you are English. In German worldview can translate to Weltanschaung (?) which is similar, but different! And definitely longer!
pl

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:56 am

Check out the entire list of words that I've found at http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles ... words.html .
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:35 am

If you are a member of The National Association of Realtors, you are a Realtor, with a capital R. If not a member, I suppose you can be a realtor. I read it without the capital often. It could be a trade marked word which, due to constant use, has lost its capital letter status. Cf: Coke - coke.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:05 pm

More on 'anymore'. There's a good reason it ought to be two words. The 'any' in compounds like 'anything' and 'anywhere', et cet does not have the same meaning as the 'any' in 'any more'. Also, the pronunciation doesn't match, I mean of the placement of the accent.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:13 am

Merriam-Webster has this to say about anymore/any more

anymore vs. any more
Although both anymore and any more are found in written use, in current writing anymore is the more common styling. Anymore is regularly used in negative
⟨ No one can be natural anymore. —May Sarton ⟩
, interrogative Do you read much anymore? , and conditional If you do that anymore, I'll leave. contexts and in certain positive constructions.
⟨ The Washingtonian is too sophisticated to believe anymore in solutions. —Russell Baker ⟩
In many regions of the U.S. the use of anymore in sense 2 [anymore = at the present time, these days] is quite common in positive constructions, especially in speech.
⟨ … everybody's cool anymore. —Bill White ⟩
⟨ Every time we leave the house anymore, I play a game called "Stump the Housebreaker." —Erma Bombeck ⟩
The positive use appears to have been of Midland origin, but it is now reported to be widespread in all speech areas of the U.S. except New England.

In my opinion, anymore as one word is usually appropriate.
However, I can imagine a situation where two words would be appropriate:
A (in a shop): Do you have any apples?
B (shopkeeper): I have three here. Just a minute, let me look in the back to see if there are any more there.

And I'd like to hear more from speakers of the positive anymore dialect.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:30 pm

Thank you for your scholarship. My objection to 'anymore' is twofold. For one thing, the pronunciation is not in accord with the typical compound: 'anything', 'anyone', etc. But primarily, the meaning of 'any' is different, if subtly.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:26 am

Is there any more to be said on this one? Surely that usage is two separate words. 'I won't tolerate any more bad language from you' has a completely different meaning from 'I won't tolerate bad language from you anymore', and not just on account of its location in the sentence. Anymore means any longer (which interestingly, is two words). Any more (perhaps) means some more

In much the same way, I often write 'may be' as two words. Maybe means perhaps. But: there may be another meaning.

And as for 'awhile': We will wait for a while. But: We will wait awhile. The 'for' is redundant as I see it, when we use the word awhile.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:30 pm

I understand the distinction you’re making. I can only say that the single-word version is of relatively recent vintage, and is not recognized by the OED. Also, see my remarks immediately prior to yours.
All the best to you.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:57 pm

Thanks, brogine. On the basis that the single word is not recognised in the OED, I will close ranks and henceforth always (all ways?) use it as two - even when I mean any longer.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:58 pm

Well, thank you. Do my remarks of February 10, 2018 - above make any sense to you?

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:57 pm

Yes, and I think we broadly agree. If there is a distinction in meaning, then it may be that there is value in having both variations, as in:

may be and maybe

all ways and always

a while and awhile

any way and anyway

Interesting that as time passes, the use of the single word increases (generally, anyway), until per haps, to gether, in to, and thousands more, seem to have disappeared all to gether.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:46 am

It's the modern joinings that get me. There is no longer such a thing as fresh water; it's freshwater (which to me should be an adjective). The same thing with back yard and back seat.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Spelling”