Translations

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
frank
Lexiterian

Translations

Postby frank » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:58 am

Hi all,

I'm needing a translation of a few basic time indications in several languages, but **also in their respective scripts** :-). I'd be very grateful if somebody could help me out with Hindi, Nepali, Thai, and Nepali.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
(despite the numerous sites that list days of the week, i can't find all the lingo's i need; the names in Hindi and Thai i already found myself)

Morning: 9.00h - 12.00h
Morning: 9.00h - 12.30h
Afternoon: 13.00h - 16.00h
Evening: 18.45h - 21.45h

Two times a week
Three times a week
Four times a week

Many many thanks in advance!

Groetjes,

Frank

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Too bad this didn't come up while I was studying for an MA in international relations. I had classmates from India, Thailand, and Nepal. I bet they could have helped.

I wonder if Frank ever managed to get anywhere with this. It's been 5 years, so I expect it's a dead topic, but nonetheless, it would interesting to see the results, if there were any.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:43 am

I've always been at a loss in English when someone says "evening." As the times above indicate, there's a wide possibility of meanings, and I try to pin people down, as there's a big diffeence between 5 and 9 p.m. "Dinner" is similar as it seems to refer to a big meal, either at noon or night, but some people use it to refer only to one or the other. Does the ambiguity go back to the days before we became regimented by clocks, and approximate times we fine?
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:34 pm

Numerical and Descriptive times of day.

This is a topic on which I usually spend at least one full lecture with my third level ESL students. I usualy have a time line graphic for the discussion. As with many of our topics I have to tell them the difference between Yankee and Southern words. In this case I have also to distinguish between country and city usage. We also have to discuss twelve and twenty-four hour clocks. I am confident I can handle all of this except for the twenty-four hour clock.

I won't give you the full load of hay unless you ask for it. If anyone can help us on the twenty-four hour clock, please chime in. If you want the full load, send me a private message.

Us rednecks say evening for from 12:00 noon until midnight. But sometimes we say it is night if it is after dark. Morning, usually without the g, is time from 12:00 midnight until twelve noon, unless it is dark and then we might say night. There is no afternoon in redneck land. Dinner is always served at 12:00 noon. Supper is in the cool, cool, cool of the evening, as are parties that get a glow on. Rednecks don't know what A. M. and P. M mean. If you are a shift worker you work day, evening or graveyard tower (i think we mean tour).

City folks and perhaps all Yankees have lunch at noon and dinner in the evening where evening usually means after dark. Some people make an exception, having lunch at noon all week but having Sunday dinner at noon. As a reformed redneck that is how I define dinner by order of the one Who Must be Obeyed. (See Rumpole of the Old Bailey.) I will only mention tiffin, brunch, brekker (which I cannot find in the dictionary), linner, tea and etc.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:10 pm

My redneck credentials match anyone, since I have lived 71 yrs of my life in La and Tex, with three years in Ky, which thinks it's Southern, but ain't, and two in CA, that don't have a clue what it is. But mostly I eat lunch and supper, reserving "dinner" for big meals whenever they come. As I said, evenin' puzzles me, because not everyone around here follows your pattern or any discernable pattern. If someone hints they'll come by in the evening, I figure between 4 and 8, and usually it's between 5 & 7. I wish they'd follow your pattern, Philip, or anybody's pattern!
pl

Return to “Languages of the World”