European and Asian on England sprachreisen

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Alvin
Junior Lexiterian

European and Asian on England sprachreisen

Postby Alvin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:17 am

Hello! Is it true that European students are a lot different from Asian students? Say for example, England sprachreisen? If they are to be placed in one setting with the other half pure Asians how is it likely that they can keep up with each other? I need your brief opinions on this. Thanks.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:25 am

Especially in this kind of situation, where the students are generally much more motivated to succeed, I expect there is little difference. Such students are "self-selected" and paying a tidy sum to study.

Also, though Asian students are generally highly regarded, it is a mistake to presume that they are all of such high quality that other students will be left in the dust. This is a fallacy, and borders on racism even. There are good and bad students in all groups.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:48 am

Slava, I think you have it right.
I've been in education for 25 years and have taught all stripes and types, some "fresh off the boat".

Short answer, in my opinion, is that student performance as a whole is predominantly societal, cultural and what the individual family expects.

Alvin
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Alvin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:15 pm

Good day Slava and skinem,
Thanks for this very informative reply and ideas. I really appreciated it so much.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:04 am

Skinem and Slava,

No doubt by now you realize that Alvin is a direct copy of that brianamorgan, or is her using an alias.

Perry-if-I-want-spam-I'll-go-to-the-grocery-Dror
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Languages of the World”