American or English?

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

American or English?

Postby Slava » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:44 pm

A nice little piece from Roger Cohen of the NYT:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/02/opini ... d=36849752
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: American or English?

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Enjoyed it and a couple of dozen comments. I've encountered all or most of those through reading English authors. Still, I had a roommate from London in the late fifties and was more interested in his pronunciations, such as shedule for skedule. He's also the guy who asked me, while working on a Christmas sermon, whether we had the word "outhouse." I told him yes, but the meaning that first came to mind was an outdoor privy. His reply was, "I better not say Jesus was born in an outhouse." I agree. You can also wonder about my thoughts in reading history when I came across a privy counsel.
pl

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:14 am

In his second sentence, Mr Cohen mischaracterizes American English. He says "It can be as blunt as the shift from 'restroom' to 'toilet.'" It should be "bathroom" to "toilet." Living as I do in a place where the bath is only rarely forced into coexistence with the toilet, I resent this usurpation of this lovely word by yahoos as a means to avoid referring to excretory functions, particularly since euphemisms can only fail.

bailey66
Junior Lexiterian

Postby bailey66 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:49 pm

a privy counsel.
Well no matter what we talk about there's always someone to tell us how to do it.

M. Tongue-firmly-in-cheek Bailey
In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, Isa30:15

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:16 pm

As I understand it, French kings used to do their business while they were doing their "business" and that is why it was called the Privy Counsel. If I am wrong about this, please don't disillusion me.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:16 pm

I won't...:)
pl

Return to “Languages of the World”