British v American Food

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

British v American Food

Postby Slava » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:10 am

Here's a short piece from Oxford Dictionaries Online on the different words we cisatlantic brethren use for the same foods:

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2016 ... n-english/
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: British v American Food

Postby call_copse » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:24 am

Interesting article. You might add coriander / cilantro to that list - we never use the word cilantro, which I have come across in various recipes from the US. Your coriander is our coriander seeds.

Also, remember not to use the aubergine / eggplant emoji in general communication. Bizarrely this is now totally associated with sexual intent - a fact I only recently worked out!
Iain

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Re: British v American Food

Postby bnjtokyo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:16 am

According to Wikipedia,
"Cilantro is the Spanish word for coriander, also deriving from coriandrum. It is the common term in North American English for coriander leaves, due to their extensive use in Mexican cuisine."
which is consistent with my usage: the fresh leaves and stems are "cilantro" but the seeds are "coriander."

In Japanese it is called "shansai," "pakuchi" (the, "u" being between unvoiced consonants, is not voiced) and "korianda"

Return to “Languages of the World”