Yank/Reb test: missing links and suggested addtitions

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Yank/Reb test: missing links and suggested addtitions

Postby sluggo » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:07 am

How about do you "make" someone's picture, or do you "take" someone's picture?

Do you "take" someone somewhere, or do you "carry" them there?

Making a picture and carrying someone someplace seem to be common in middle Tennesse/northern Alabama!
My relations in south Mississippi also "make" your picture, but I never heard of carrying someone. So what would they call it if they actually were literally carrying the person?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:27 pm

Separating the way Northerners from the way Southerners, how do you pronounce the name of that little curtain that hangs out over the outside of a window?
Been a while since you asked, Annie- I had to google "outside window curtain" to determine what you're referring to- is it a valence? If so, rhymes with balance, but this is a word I never heard until I started working with stage sets so I don't know how specialized it is. Or is it another term altogether?

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:35 am

do you mean a pelmet? it rhymes with helmet.

mark,
I got this from my resident expert

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

AdoAnnie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby AdoAnnie » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:17 am

:wink: Actually I was referring to an awning. I am from Texas and my best friend while I was in the military was from Fall River, Mass (remember Lizzie Borden?). She would pitch fits as if her ear drums were being pierced when I would say AH-ning. I can't even begin to try to recreate her pronunciation but it was almost like 'warning' but slur the r. That isn't it but it's close.

Thanks for the interesting guesses. I should have said a little curtain OUTSIDE a window. That would have probably made more sense.
The neighbors said that they knew the man who'd been shot for years.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:20 pm

You did say outside in your original post. It seems that Sluggo's valence got him out of balance.

I had never heard of a pelmet before. Now I can trhill my friends and stun my detractors.
Last edited by Perry on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

AdoAnnie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby AdoAnnie » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:22 pm

I’d never heard of a pelmet either, but when I searched for images of a pelmet all the websites came up "uk". So maybe this is one of those Britishisms. All of the pictures that came up were of, what I would call, a valance either soft of solid (cornice).

http://www.junelle.co.uk/curtains/designer-curtains.htm

Scroll down past the Roman Blinds and Cut-Away Pinch Pleats to the Double Diamond Pelmet. In American English I would call that a topper or a valance.

http://www.pl-curtains.co.uk/curtains/pelmets.htm

They also call this a pelmet, but I would call it a cornice board or just a cornice.

http://www.windowcrowns.com/corniceboardkit.html

I found this while surfing that describes a cornice, but scroll to the bottom of the page and it shows a cornice draped with a pelmet. I would have still called this a cornice.

Now get out your pens and paper for the pop quiz at the end of the drapery lesson for today . . . :D :wink:
The neighbors said that they knew the man who'd been shot for years.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:10 pm

When I suggested a Pelmet I thought she meant outside as in not inside the line of the window, a pelmet/valance sits atop and semi-independant of a window. Perry, I doubt you have many detractors.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:50 pm

You did say outside in your original post. It seems that Sluggo's valence got him out of balance.

I had never heard of a pelmet before. Now I can trhill my friends and stun my detractors.
Hail, fellow pelmet!

I thought an awning was a hard, rooflike thingy that hangs over and above a window. Anyway I say it like "dawning", excepting I leave off the D (usually).

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”