Revised Slangerbanger

A discussion of slang and the changes it undergoes.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Revised Slangerbanger

Postby sluggo » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:07 pm

Just re-took the slang quiz. I see the questions have expanded to "your High school-college days" but I wonder if such terms are not induced earlier rather than later.

I'm still coming out a bit early ('50s) as before. Certainly myriad factors already noted remain at work.

I have to take issue in #11: I really don't see dork and retard as being contemporaneous.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:58 pm

I was also placed in the 50's. I was born in 1954, my brother in 1950 and my sister in 1945. I imagine that I was influenced by them linguistically (or slangistically?).

Also, some of the terms that were grouped together span more than one decade. Still, all in all, it is a fun test.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Promise

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:36 am

I promise to get back to it next month and refine it a bit. It may be an impossible task to achieve any accuracy on this one since slang is time-stamped but slang words endure for radically differing stretches of time, e.g. cool has been around as long as jazz and shows no indication of surrender.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:34 am

Does anyone have any idea why I have 4 emails from the group stating:

Congratulations,

Your request to join the "Slang" group on http://www.alphadictionary.com has been approved.
Click on the following link to see your group membership.

--
Thanks, The Management

If anyone can clear up my confusion I would appreciate it!

Miss you all!
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:53 am

Sunny, I subscribed but didn't get the email yet but I see both of us are approved. yippee we two with Bob can discuss the slang changes.

mark slang-blade Bailey
not sure how to access it and start talking [smak].

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:13 pm

Slang is a cop out and shows a lack of energy, creativity and manners. It is also something that drives this girl insane. I just don't get it. There are so many magnificent words to use, that to resort to using words (?) like "wassup" "Huh" "yeahok" just never made any sense to me.

The same goes for swearing, I think it shows a lack of imagination to say the F word repeatedly, even when smashing your thumb with the hammer for the second time in succession!

Just my humble opinion.....
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:16 pm

uh, Sunny, "cop out" is slang but perhaps since it's been legitimized by age it just no longer seems like slang. Maybe you just don't like the current slang? Language is always in flux it's always evolving and adjusting itself to our changing ideas and needs. If you went back to the early 1900's you might find that language more suited your ears but you'd find difficulty expressing yourself.

Mark Hippy-hop Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:53 pm

uh, Sunny, "cop out" is slang but perhaps since it's been legitimized by age it just no longer seems like slang. Maybe you just don't like the current slang? Language is always in flux it's always evolving and adjusting itself to our changing ideas and needs. If you went back to the early 1900's you might find that language more suited your ears but you'd find difficulty expressing yourself.

mark hippy-hop Bailey
Agreed. I love slang, and I like swearing, too. The more inventive, the better. I'm even quite fond of mixed metaphors. Sentence fragments definitely turn me on.

All part of the rich tapestry of language. Though not everyone's cup of tea, I suppose.

-- PW in Noo Yawk City for a fortnight, wallowing in the Yankee idiom; doing some swearing, too.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:48 pm

PW in Noo Yawk City for a fortnight, wallowing in the Yankee idiom; doing some swearing, too.
Is this your sworn statement?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:03 am

uh, Sunny, "cop out" is slang
Maybe Sunny was being ironic with the same exquisite subtlety she's been using to let us know she's Italian. I think I grok Sunny's flux though. These kids today... I've never ever heard yeahok (?) but I'm sure it's got something to do with keepin' it real with the schnizzle on the kabizzle. Dig?

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:50 am

You might be right there me old Sluggo.
The same goes for swearing, I think it shows a lack of imagination to say the F word repeatedly, even when smashing your thumb with the hammer for the second time in succession!
Sunny is right. One swear word doesn't fit all occasions.

Perry really-cut-back-on-the-swearing-since-I-had-kids-and-moved-to-genteel-Asheville Dror
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:54 am

The current stream of this thread reminded me of this page from about 4 years ago - a hoot if you remember current events of the time (Sunny warning- enough slang in here to drive you wacko).

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:04 am

Lots of not-Lott's expressions went over my head (and how!)
Anonymous

Return to “Slang”