win/winner

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Cacasenno
Lexiterian

win/winner

Postby Cacasenno » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:51 am

For some imperscrutable reason, lately I have observed an abundance of Good Words associable with an electoral contest. :wink:

Moving with this trend, let me propose another little everyday word with a respectable history.

Win/winner

PRONUNCIATION: wn
VERB: Inflected forms: won ( wn), win·ning, wins
INTRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To achieve victory or finish first in a competition. 2. To achieve success in an effort or venture: struggled to overcome the handicap and finally won.
TRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To achieve victory or finish first in. 2. To receive as a prize or reward for performance. 3a. To achieve or attain by effort: win concessions in negotiations. b. To obtain or earn (a livelihood, for example). See synonyms at earn1. 4. To make (one's way) with effort. 5. To reach with difficulty: The ship won a safe port. 6. To take in battle; capture: won the heights after a fierce attack. 7. To succeed in gaining the favor or support of; prevail on: Her eloquence won over the audience. 8a. To gain the affection or loyalty of. b. To appeal successfully to (someone's sympathy, for example). c. To persuade (another) to marry one: He wooed and won her. 9a. To discover and open (a vein or deposit) in mining. b. To extract from a mine or from mined ore.
NOUN: 1a. A victory, especially in a competition. b. First place in a competition. 2. An amount won or earned.
PHRASAL VERBS: win out To succeed or prevail. win through To overcome difficulties and attain a desired goal or end.
IDIOM: win the day To be successful.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English winnen, from Old English winnan, to fight, strive. See wen-1 in Appendix I.
OTHER FORMS: winless —ADJECTIVE
winna·ble —ADJECTIVE

Appendix I

Indo-European Roots

ENTRY: wen-1
DEFINITION: To desire, strive for.
Derivatives include win, wont, wish, venerate, venereal, venom, and venison.
1. Suffixed form *wen-w-. win, from Old English winnan, to win, from Germanic *winn(w)an, to seek to gain. 2. Suffixed zero-grade form *w-y-. wynn, winsome, from Old English wynn, wen, pleasure, joy, from Germanic *wunj. 3. Suffixed (stative) zero-grade form *w--, to be contented. won1, wont, from Old English wunian, to become accustomed to, dwell, from Germanic *wunn. 4. Suffixed (causative) o-grade form *won-eyo-. wean, from Old English wenian, to accustom, train, wean, from Germanic *wanjan. 5. ween, from Old English wnan, to expect, imagine, think, from Germanic denominative *wnjan, to hope, from *wniz, hope. 6. Suffixed zero-grade form *w-sko-. wish, from Old English wscan, to desire, wish, from Germanic *wunsk-. 7. Perhaps o-grade form *won-. a. Vanir, from Old Norse Vanir, the Vanir; b. vanadium, from Old Norse Vanads, name of the goddess Freya. Both a and b from Germanic *wana-. 8. Suffixed form *wen-es-. a. venerate, venereal, venery1, Venus, from Latin venus, love; b. suffixed form *wen-es-no-. venom, from Latin vennum, love potion, poison. 9. Possibly suffixed form *wen-eto-, “beloved.” Wend, from Old High German Winid, Wend, from Germanic *Weneda-, a Slavic people. 10. Suffixed form *wen-y-. venial, from Latin venia, favor, forgiveness. 11. Lengthened-grade form *wn--. venery2, venison, from Latin vnr, to hunt. 12. Suffixed basic form *wen-o-. wanderoo, from Sanskrit vanam, forest. 13. Possibly zero-grade suffixed form *w-ig-. banyan, from Sanskrit vaik, vija, merchant (? < “seeking to gain”). (Pokorny 1. en- 1146.)

© The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:38 pm

a good word, it also contains in it the opposite, if one is a winner, someone else loses, particularily in a contest.

B.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:53 pm

a good word, it also contains in it the opposite, if one is a winner, someone else loses, particularily in a contest.

B.
That is true, unless we're talking the modern approach to negotiations or conflict resolution, better now called transformation.

We're looking for win/win situations nowadays.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:27 pm

As an intermediate step, occasionally we could even settle for a ween/ween* situation, as a step forward from present whine/whine situations.

*expect, intend, hope (Archaic)

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:57 pm

B.
The opposite of some Winners is Whiners.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:20 pm

B.
The opposite of some Winners is Whiners.
Better than "oh good job"; For the most banal and universally acheived, minor acomplishments.

mark too-many-atta-persons-given-out Bailey

kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:14 pm

As an intermediate step, occasionally we could even settle for a ween/ween* situation, as a step forward from present whine/whine situations.

*expect, intend, hope (Archaic)
:D :D very nice.

*Archaic in everyday use though still known to Gilbert & Sullivan players:
Of legal knowledge I acquired such a grip
That they took me into the partnership.
And that junior partnership, I ween,
Was the only ship that I ever had seen.
When I Was a Lad (H.M.S. Pinafore, 1878)

- and yet overween is still around.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:06 am

- and yet overween is still around.
They that overween,
And at thy growing virtues fret their spleen.
- Milton.
I've usually heard it o'erween. Hubris; the Word of the century
B.

kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:38 pm

B.
...unless you're involved in an overly-PC children sports league in which score is not kept.
Mustn't scar the lil' darlin's now with such concepts as competition, success, and the fact that life is often not fair.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”