Mocha

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:54 am

Perry is there a connection between Arabic and Hebrew other than the fact that both are semetic languages?
Isn't that enough of a connection to have so many similar roots?
Modi,

That's what I meant by my comment about the alphabet: both are Semitic languanges. I'm not a linguist, but I see a connection when I see "ben" and "bin" for "son of" and, especially, "shalom" and "salam" for "peace."

As-Salamu Alaykum
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم) is an Arabic spoken greeting used by Muslims as well as Arab Christians and Jews. The term Salam in Arabic means "Peace". The greeting may also be transliterated as Salaam 'Alaykum. It means "Peace be upon you". The traditional response is wa `Alaykum As-Salaam, meaning "and upon you be peace."

This type of greeting is common in the Middle East and Africa; its Hebrew counterpart greeting is Shalom aleichemand in Maltese is Sliem ghalikom.
S-L-M
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sin-Lam-Mim (Hebrew: שלם Š-L-M, Arabic: س ل م S-L-M, Maltese: S-L-M) is the triconsonantal root of many Semitic words, and many of those words are used as names. The root itself translates as "whole, safe, intact".

"Shalom" (in blue) and "Salām" (in green) mean "peace" in Hebrew and Arabic respectively and often represent a peace symbol.
Pax vobiscum!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Modi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks for you and Perry, that's quite the new information for me.
"Do you want to know hell, it's depths; hell is the company of the ignorant." My translation for a verse by Omar Al-Khayyam.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:56 am

"Do you want to know hell, it's depths; hell is the company of the ignorant." My translation for a verse by Omar Al-Khayyam.
you know Bubba?

B.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Modi » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:01 pm

I don't understand what you mean Bailey?

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:32 pm

I believe he's saying Bubba is ignorant.

After reading Bailey's posts about Bubba, I feel I know him, too...

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:57 am

Modi,

Bubba is a nickname, sometimes used affectionately and sometimes used derisively, and often associated with someone from the Southern United States. As the Wikipedia article shows there are a number of different meanings, often only picked up in how it's used. Bailey's Bubba is good-hearted but a good bit on the ignorant side. One might say he's a few beers short of a six-pack.

Right, Mark?

Modi, is your quote from the Rubaiyat?I like the Rubaiyat, at least the Edward Fitzgerald translation I have, even though it's supposedly not espeically faithful to the original. Still, Fitzgerald's version made major contribution to English literature, especially the "Loaf of bread" and the "Moving Finger" verses.

Some of my favorite verses (as I remember them) off the top of my head:

Come, fill the Cup, and in the Fire of Spring
The Winter garment of Repentence fling.
The Bird of Life has but a little way to fly,
And Lo! The Bird is on the wing!

What, without asking, hither hurried whence,
And, without asking, whither hurried hence?
Another and another cup to drown
The memory of this impertenance!

There's another verse about a potter thumping clay, and in the last line he hears the clay mutter "Gently, brother, gently pray." as well as another one that ends:

Dust into dust, and under dust to lie,
Sans wine, sans song, sans singer, and sans end.

("Sans" being the French word for "without.")

The Wikipedia article just reminded me the the "Moving Finger" verse is another favorite.

[I think I've wandered far enough off topic for one post!]
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Modi » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:30 am

Thanks for the explanation.

And yes, my quote is from the Rubaiyat. Though this verse is not in Edward Fitzegerald's translation, I have an arabic translation by Ahmed As-Safi this verse was from, note that the arabic trnaslation have 351 rubaiya, while Fitzegerald's has 101. An I think there is more than 351, since the translator said that he translate all that was available for him since he was not able to mentain arabian poetic structure and yet keep the meaning as intact as possible.
[I think I've wandered far enough off topic for one post!]
That's natural since alot can be talked about this particular poet.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:40 pm

Bubba is a nickname, sometimes used affectionately and sometimes used derisively, and often associated with someone from the Southern United States. As the Wikipedia article shows there are a number of different meanings, often only picked up in how it's used. Bailey's Bubba is good-hearted but a good bit on the ignorant side. One might say he's a few beers short of a six-pack.

Right, Mark?

yeah, I used to hang out here and talk about my "more-than-kin-but-less-than-kind" B-I-L, he is indeed a few fries short of a happy meal. He has invincible ignorance. He was born knowing-it-all already.

B.

Challenge- where is my quote from?

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:50 pm

I don't know where it's from, but you can get the two parts on t-shirts from: http://www.cafepress.com/timewarp_tshirt/1727344
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:15 pm

Well, a Yahoo search shows it coming from some some site named AlpaDictionary.com. Ditto for the first half.

The second half, a renunciation of the Borg's slogan, shows several sites, including one ( http://www.resistanceisnotfutile.us ) that has this disclaimer on it:
Users Online.
Note : Because this site deals with ideas and concepts that could be considered 'Subversive' by the US Government

(see this link THE VIOLENT RADICALIZATION AND HOMEGROWN TERRORISM PREVENTION ACT
H.R. 1955
)
I will NEVER ask you to LOG IN, and any 'cookies' installed on your machine by this website will have a short lifespan. If anyone is gonna make it onto the 'Terror Watch List' (1,000,000+ names so far, I understand) - well - let's just say that I do NOT want to contribute to that. However, You should still be aware that your communications ARE being monitored (illegally) by your Rogue Government and take such precautions as you should deem necessary . . .
Anything you do or look at online is AT YOUR OWN RISK !
If you can't bother with your own security then . . . perhaps we'll meet in a FEMA camp sometime soon.
As Bufffalo Springfield sang so long ago,
"Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep, starts when you're always afraid, step out of line, The Man come and take you away..."
Regards//Larry

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 am

Sounds like something out of Atlas Shrugged or from Rush Limbaugh to me.

I'm sure it's my own spin, but it sounds kind of libertarian to me.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”