Naw'Ca'lyna Accent

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Naw'Ca'lyna Accent

Postby Stargzer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:20 pm

A friend sent me a YouTube link to the first clip on the page below and I couldn't stop laughing--at her poor husband.

I'm sorry for you NE Yankees and Midwesterners, but I don't think there's an accent as pretty as one just dripping with Dixie, which is why I posted in this particular forum. There are four clips on the page, the first is the longest but maybe the funniest. All are very funny, especially the punch line on the Mothers and Daughters clip.

Jeanne Robertson is a North Carolina comic and motivational speaker. I've never heard of her before, but she is hilarious.

http://jeannerobertson.com/MeetingPlannerVideo.htm
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Naw'Ca'lyna Accent

Postby skinem » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:08 pm

I'm sorry for you NE Yankees and Midwesterners, but I don't think there's an accent as pretty as one just dripping with Dixie, which is why I posted in this particular forum.
+1! I'm there with you Stargzer.

God bless my Southern wife...

Funny link, by the way.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:06 pm

I work with two very nice South Carolina-raised women. I've noticed that whether -- and how -- they pronounce (L) depends on the adjacent letters.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:12 pm

The numbered shopping list was priceless!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:14 pm

Yep, I agree, that was great. Now what I want is the recipe for the cake. Pound cake with 7-Up? S'up wi' dat? Is there such a thing, or is it part of the shtick?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:50 am

No, I think the 7-Up is used as leavening because of the carbon dioxide in it. I could probably deduce the recipe from the ingredients list, but I don't have time to listen to it again.

Here's the first five I found by Yahooing:
The last actually has a plethora recipes on it for three types of 7-Up Cake: bunt, sheet, and torte.

Caveat pānĭfex!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:10 pm

"Caveat pānĭfex": Beware the baker? :?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:00 pm

"Caveat pānĭfex": Beware the baker? :?
Big Time! I've looked at a couple of the recipes, and the authors do not seem to understand the difference between a TBS and TSP!

They actually tell us to use 2 TABLESPOONS of lemon flavoring, not teaspoons. Not a particularly slight difference, as you may well imagine.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:21 pm

...the authors do not seem to understand the difference between a TBS and TSP!
:shock: That's not a little thing! I'm not a baker, but I do cook a bit, and teaspoon-vs.-tablespoon can make a huge difference.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:05 pm

I once mis-read the directions on a prescription bottle of Tussionex, a hydrocodone-base cough syrup. I thought it said to take one Tablespoon. Being of rather large frame and knowing that some dosages are based on body weight, I took two. Then I re-read the instructions that said take one TEASPOON. So, I ended up taking six times the prescribed dose.

Now, I was able to drive, stay alert, and carry on a conversation that day, but there was no way on God's Green Earth anyone could have insulted me that day. If you had looked in the dictionary under "euphoria" you would have seen my picture. I see now why some people would abuse that stuff!

I now make sure to read the instructions on new medications at least three times now ...
Regards//Larry

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”