RORULENT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:20 pm

A synonym (not a synonymic, mind you) for the noun, "bloom," is "efflorescence" both in the sense of "flower" and in the sense of stuff accumulating on the surface. In industry (masonry, foundry work, etc.) the two are used interchangeably, as they are in chemistry, to mean stuff accumulating on the surface. Biology, however, avoids "efflorescence" for that purpose, probably since it creates confusion with the "flower" meaning, for which "efflorescence" is used almost exclusively. I see "bloom" used in biology to mean a flower, but most are wise enough to stick with "bloom" when they mean stuff on the surface.

"The bloom is off the rose" can be interpreted either way, since rose flowers are one of those plants that develops a bloom on its bloom.
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Several of you have mentioned a spell checker; I've not been able to find one in this program. Any tips? (besides composing in Word and copying into this environment.)
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:36 pm

A synonym (not a synonymic, mind you) for the noun, "bloom," is "efflorescence"...
Excellent, thank you. Now, why do you make a point of saying that the adjective is not the noun? I admit I'm using only an online dictionary here, as I'm online, but the only word listed as a noun is synonym. Synonymic is an adjective related to it.

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 pm

It was a jesting reference to our earlier discussion of "patronym-patronymic"
Beck

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:07 pm

It was a jesting reference to our earlier discussion of "patronym-patronymic"
Perhaps cross-thread references should not be employed on this board? Any newcomers, though they be few and far between, will be mightily confused. If the reference is truly worthy, a link to the root of the matter would perchance be in order?

Mightn't we attempt to keep the private jokes and references to a minimum? Or at least shift them to PMs? Some of us don't wish to see this board turned into a chat room.

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:31 am

I'll have to think about that. I'm not sure I give a handful for the difference beween a thread and a chatroom. Virtually every topic I've seen here is off target by the fourth or fifth post, even among the many, many threads in which I have not taken an active role. Most participants seem to be enjoying it, despite that. We are certainly not claqueurs helping the good Doctor create a monumental and erudite reference for future readers; we're conversing with each other from afar and enjoying ourselves, no?
Beck

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:00 pm

We are bloomingly rorulent.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:46 pm

I'll have to think about that. I'm not sure I give a handful for the difference beween a thread and a chatroom. Virtually every topic I've seen here is off target by the fourth or fifth post, even among the many, many threads in which I have not taken an active role. Most participants seem to be enjoying it, despite that. We are certainly not claqueurs helping the good Doctor create a monumental and erudite reference for future readers; we're conversing with each other from afar and enjoying ourselves, no?
And from my 'trolling' of the threads, I have found several
references from the Doctor saying he does not mind
if threads get off topic and meander around. Conversations
do that. That contributes to growth in the conversation.
I don't find these threads at all like a chat room. I would
never join a chat room. Rather to me they are sources
of growth in linguistics, education, and use of the mind.
It is said that use of the brain, as in doing crossword
puzzles, is a fine way to keep alzheimers at bay. I see
this site as contributing to that in an excellent way.

And as for new folks joining, I have not run into many
in my month or so here, except for the 8-9 of us who
came from Word of the Day, a site started by Doctor
Goodword, and which he abandoned for whatever reason
which no one will comment on. Those of us that have joined
are the newest blood in months, or even years (except for
one-time posters with question or spam). And I see
personal comments a-plenty in "jokes" and jibes in the
early posts as well. So I cannot agree that they should
be limited to PM's. PM things that are personal, not fit
to be seen by all, or otherwise not public in nature.
But I for one will continue as I have been.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:51 pm

There's a distinct difference between on one hand, wandering off-topic while still maintaining the general raison d'être of the site, and on the other hand empty posts that say nothing. The latter is more at the vacuity of the Facebook world, which, I agree with Slava here, there's no reason to recreate on a site that is already dedicated to a particular interest. Endless posts with no relevant additions, corrections or elucidations, or those on how the site works simply are best left to the PM method, for the benefit of the rest of us who have to wade through all this to cut to the chase. Just common courtesy. The monumental and erudite reference, and ability to interact with it, is after all why most of us came here.

On the other point, I don't see a problem cross-referencing another thread, if we simply link to it... again, as long as we're staying on the mission of language --which is what the site is for, and what distinguishes it from, sorry to use this crass word again, Facebook. :evil:

This should really be discussed in Res Diversae.

(/offtopic)
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”