Favorite Punctuation Marks?

You have words - now what do you do with them?
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Favorite Punctuation Marks?

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:26 pm

As punctuation relates to grammar, at least in my book, I'll put this one here instead of Res Diversae.

Another rather fun and interesting piece on language from The Atlantic:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertai ... rks/57152/

Does anyone out there have a favorite to share?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Favorite Punctuation Marks?

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Excellent article! I'm saving it and passing it along. I once read an article about new punctuations, such as the stupendapoint, light years beyond a mere exclamation point. I don't remember the details, but it was a capital X with asterisks in the angles and a couple opf exclamation points.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:57 am

Glad you liked it. 'Tis always a pleasure to make others happy.

I did forget to mention that the text of this article is the first time I've ever seen a printed interrobang. I've seen the word, and the definition, but never the actual doohickey. Now I know what it's supposed to look like. I always thought it was just a "!?".
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 pm

I like the comma best. It is the pause that refreshes. I am getting to the age that I can't tell a comma from a period in some type sizes and fonts. I am glad the font the Good Doctor chose for these pages has a distinct comma. Liking the comma does not mean that I know all the comma rules or obey the rules I know. I always feel that a comma dropped casually into a sentence gives the sentence some perspective. I try to use the rules, there are just so many of them and some seem contradictory. In a series, I like to put a comma before the "and" although I know that some people frown on it.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Grammar”