Muslim

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Muslim

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:02 pm

• Muslim •

Pronunciation: mêz-lêm • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective, Noun

Meaning: 1. (Adjective) Believing in Islam, a religion articulated by the Quran, or belonging to that religion. 2. (Noun) An adherent or believer in Islam.

Notes: The rather old-fashioned way of spelling this transliteration from Arabic is moslem. Mohammedan is a synonym that may also be spelled Muhammedan. Muslim is the preferred way to refer to this religion today. Islam is the second largest religion in the world and the fastest growing. It was established by Muhammad, who claimed to have spoken to God through the archangel Gabriel in the early 7th century.

In Play: Our use of this word is tightly restricted to its original sense: "The two largest denominations of Muslims are the Sunnis and the Shiites." It does not lend itself to figurative uses: "Dozens of Muslims gathered to celebrate Muharram, the first month of the Islamic year."

Word History: Today's Good Word is based on muslim "one who submits" a prefixed form of the root aslama "to resign". This word is related, unsurprisingly, to Islam, from Arabic 'islam "submission". These words go back to a common Semitic root šlm "to be whole, sound, which also produced Hebrew shalom and Arabic salaam "peace", common greetings in Israel and the Arabic states. It also turns up in the Hebrew names Solomon and Salome (We now thank Debbie Moggio for bringing these words to our attention to help our understanding of which form is the best Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Muslim

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:48 am

Despite being one bump away, muslin is of no relation. That comes from the fabric originally made in Mosul, which also gives us Mussolini.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Re: Muslim

Postby Debbymoge » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:21 pm

When my father was dying, there was a wonderful woman coming in daily to help him. She was a Brit with a fairly heavy Cockney accent, married to a fellow who was a follower of Muhammad.
She came down one day, waited while we finished a conversation, then asked if she could please request that a new mattress cover be purchased for Dad's bed as the "(m,M?)uslim was all worn out and ripping".
I was the only one seated where I could not step out of her line of vision.
The others all turned pink trying hard to hold in the giggles till she left.
I nearly turned blue...

Ah yes, life's little fun memories...
Debby M.
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”