Venery

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Venery

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri May 12, 2017 11:20 pm

• venery •

Pronunciation: ven-êr-ri • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: 1. Hunting. 2. The game hunted. 3. Indulgence in sexual activity.

Notes: Obviously, the differences in meanings are so great as to require caution with the contexts in which this word is used. Venereal is the only adjective widely used and it refers exclusively to sexual notions or to the character of someone given to the pleasures of Venus.

In Play: The sense of "hunting" has been greatly subdued by this word's association with Venus, the Roman goddess of passionate love, so using the term to refer to the hunt is probably ill-advised. Even "Carlton loves his summer venery in the woods" is ambiguous and sexual connotations always rise to the top and are the most socially damaging. So, unless Carlton is wont to wander with wanton women in the woods with wicked wishes, avoid such locutions.

Word History: Today's word is based on Latin venor "to hunt, chase" via Medieval Latin venaria "a hunt, chase" and French. Venison derives via French from the original Latin venatio(n) "hunting" and originally referred to any game meat, an example of semantic narrowing. The other meaning of venery derives from Venerius "pertaining to Venus, sexual love". All of these Latin words share a common source with English win, wish, winsome and Sanskrit vanam "forest." (Thanks to hunting enthusiast Phil Anders of Smoketown, Pennsylvania, for today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Venery

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:50 am

Well, I guess if one has a certain lust for life, one might often be hunting for new pleasures.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:11 pm

Could someone please explain if the hunt was also a pastime of Venus?
Other than the hunt for physical pleasure, I mean.
You know, the hunting of animals for food and/or pleasure.
You know I didn't mean the pleasure kind. I wouldn't know about that at all, you know...
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:49 pm

I do not believe she was connected to the hunt at all. That would be Artemis and Diana, in Greco-Roman culture at least.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:25 pm

I thought that was the case, Artemis and Diana, but then, where is the cross over?
When did the definition change?
I don't see the thread that would take me from hunting to sex, except to the extent that you posit in the "hunting for pleasure". In that case, why the almost complete erasure of the earlier meaning? Social pressure?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:23 pm

Etymonline posits that it "may have been felt as a play on now obsolete homonym venery (n.2)". The hunt version is early 14th century, and doesn't get to sex until the mid-15th. Or, perhaps they arose somewhat independently, as the root is PIE *wen-, desire or strive for?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”