Abstruse

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Abstruse

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 pm

• abstruse •

Pronunciation: æb-strus Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Difficult to understand, recondite.

Notes: Abstruse reading matter, speeches, or situations may be arcane, complicated, or by any other measure difficult to understand. The important measure of a situation for the use of this word is simply that it is hard to comprehend. The adverb for this adjective is abstrusely and the noun is abstruseness.

In Play: My former home, the academic world, is probably where today's Good Word and the concept it represents were invented: "Norman French invited me to an abstruse lecture on why people scratch their heads when frustrated." Abstruseness is not limited to the ivory towers of Academia, though: "The reasoning Phil O'Dendron offered for starting a garden supply store after finishing medical school was abstruse to say the least."

Word History: Today's Good Word is a light makeover of Latin abstrusus, the past participle of abstrudere "to hide". The Latin verb comprises ab(s) "(away) from" + trudere "to push". The same root that produced Latin ab(s) also emerged in English as both of and off, and in German as auf "on, to". In Old Norse, the language of the Vikings, it appeared as the prefix öf on öfugr "backward." The Vikings loaned this word to English on one of their many 'visits' to the English coast in the 10th and 11th centuries. In Old English it became awke "wrong", a word that was combined with -ward "in the direction of" (backward, westward, forward) to create awkeward "in the wrong way", today's awkward. (Let's now thank Gianni Tamburini, our favorite Italian reader, who is never abstruse in suggesting such Good Words to us as this one. We also owe Larry Brady a grateful nod for supplying the name of one of the characters in Play above.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Abstruse

Postby Slava » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:11 am

Perhaps appropriately, given how many people feel about abstruse knowledge, the second half of this word is also related to 'threat'.

I also just learned there is such a word as detrude. Extrude and intrude I knew about, but not this one. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it.

If anyone want to take the easy way out, here's a direct link to the Dr.'s treatment of awkward, too.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:06 pm

Slava, you missed "obtrude", which is what I'm doing -- interfering.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:53 pm

I knew I was coming up short. I won't be surprised to learn of even more -trude words. Does Gertrude count? :)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:50 pm

Gertrude? Only if Ermintrude (or Ermentrude) also counts. There's also Waltrude. Apparently a rather common ending for ladies' names during the early Middle Ages.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:28 pm

Well, I gather that -trude is from -trut, meaning 'beloved' or 'dear'. Fun though.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:22 pm

So the female name, Trudy, presumably

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:38 am

I imagine Trudy is just a short form of Gertrude, no?

We're also missing protrude from the list. And another rare one, contrude.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”