Liminal

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Liminal

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:28 pm

• liminal •

Pronunciation: li-mi-nêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. On the threshold, just passing over a threshold, incipient, as 'a liminal understanding of oneself'. 2. Barely perceptible, as 'a liminal odor or liminal sensation on the skin'. 3. (Cultural Anthropology) Transitional, referring to a period in human life when a person is changing, moving from one state (across the threshold) to another.

Notes: Today's strikingly beautiful word is slipping far too quickly out of fashion. Look at all the wonderful meanings it has! We hear subliminal "below the threshold (of consciousness)" much more as a result of the impact of Freudian psychology on the Western world. Today's word comes with a noun, liminality, and may also, of course, be used adverbially, attired in the appropriate suffix: liminally.

In Play: Have you ever finished a meal and felt like saying, "The main course had the liminal flavor of fish. Did I guess right?" How many times have I said to a student, "I have a liminal sense of what you just said but I can't quite grasp the point." Don't forget that liminal can imply a threshold: "Ida Claire lives in some liminal state between student and teacher that her education degree didn't push her through." I don't know if that is good or bad.

Word History: Today's word comes from the Latin word limen "threshold" capped by the adjective suffix -al. Exactly where this word's root came from is unknown; however, we do know that it is related to another Latin word limes, limitis "field boundary, limit." Both these words may have been inherited by Latin from Proto-Indo-European leim- "bend" + suffixes -in and -it. This word also came through Old Germanic to English as limb. As you can see, this story leaves us with a very big hole to fill: the semantic gap between "bend" and "boundary" is wide and treacherous and no one knows how to get across it. (We hope today's Good Word suggestion is a liminal contribution from Professor Kyu Ho Youm, First Amendment Chair of the University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication—liminal in the first sense, of course.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Liminal

Postby George Kovac » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:16 am

Reza Aslan, an Iranian-American scholar, is an interesting and controversial author. What is not in controversy is the beauty and clarity of his writing. The first time I saw “liminal” in print was in his 2013 book “Zealot: the Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth” (at page 83):

“The Jews revered water for its liminal qualities, believing it had the power to transport a person or object from one state to another: from unclean to clean, from profane to holy.”
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:27 pm

That is a beautiful concept. Thanks.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Oddly for me, I findmyself agreeing that liminal is a beautiful word. usually words with a short I don't hit me as beautiful. I prefer longer vowels, similar to classic Castilian Spanish as taught in schools rather than street talk.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”