Weaponize

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Weaponize

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:09 pm

• weaponize •

Pronunciation: we-pê-naiz • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To provide with weapons, to arm, militarize. 2. To convert to a weapon. 3. (Politics) Convert to an attack issue, make aggressive.

Notes: Today's word has become popular in US news reports recently. Politicians often 'weaponize' issues in the figurative sense of today's Good Word. Weaponize permits a noun, weaponization, which allows an adjective, weaponizational. Someone who weaponizes regularly may be called a weaponizer.

In Play: First, the basic meaning of today's word: "During World War II many commercial ships were weaponized and sent into battle." Now, its figurative sense: "Hermione decided to weaponize the nude pictures of her ex-boyfriend when he decided to run for political office."

Word History: Today's Good Word arose in the 1930s. It comprises the noun weapon + -ize, a common verbalizing suffix. Derivations from Proto-Germanic wæpna- "weapon, arms" may be found across most Germanic languages: German Waffe "weapon" and Wappen "coat of arms", Swedish vapen "weapon", Danish vaaben "weapon". However, we find no evidence of it in Indo-European languages outside Germanic or any evidence of how it got into Germanic. The suffix originates in Greek -iz-, a verb-forming suffix that could be reconverted into nouns by adding -m-, as in the English borrowings plagiarize : plagiarism, and terrorize : terrorism. English borrowed this suffix from French, which still spells it -ise, but the Americans changed the spelling back to the original Greek, leaving the British spelling -ise: plagiarise and terrorise.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Weaponize

Postby Slava » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:20 am

I like that Swedish one for a possible slang term for an e-cig, also known as a vape pen.

Would Hermione's weaponization work? Nude pictures of a female candidate, yes, but I'm not so sure about males. It depends on the pictures, I guess.

Lastly, I wonder if there is anything that cannot be weaponized. Sad.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”