periodic/timely/regular

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
gwray
Lexiterian

periodic/timely/regular

Postby gwray » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:31 pm

To my ears—I am an engineer—periodic connotes 'at fixed intervals'; timely connotes 'on time'; and regular connotes 'mundane'. But I suspect that there is significant overlap in meanings which would be instructive to tease out. What word should be put in a this sentence if one did not wish to connote a strict schedule?
Employees will receive ____ salary reviews.
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver Proverbs 25:11

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: periodic/timely/regular

Postby call_copse » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 am

I don't think there is a specific word. It might depend upon the circumstances - for instance 'irregular', 'at will' or something to indicate 'depending on finances'.

Do you feel this means there is a lack of a word meaning to an erratic schedule?
Iain

gwray
Lexiterian

Postby gwray » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:02 am

I am not sure that a word is missing because I think any of the words will serve. Rather, I think that all of the words have shades of meaning that might convey more than is intended.

Other words that could be used are 'frequent' and 'occasional', but these too have shades of meaning that might convey more than is intended.

"We have ______ thunderstorms in August.

Perhaps the most neutral choice is 'from time to time' used postpositively.
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver Proverbs 25:11

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:57 am

Yes, people are very imprecise on their use of words in this area. Regular is as definite a time interval as periodic. It should not be used when 'at appropriate but as yet undetermined times' is the intention. 'Timely' is probably good enough although for some vague reason I am averse to its use. It just seems like a contrived and slightly pretentious word. It is adverbial in construction with that -ly suffix but is actually a contrived and awkward adjective whose meaning is not decipherable directly from understanding of the word time. I don't see any logic in its creation.

I must say also that 'frequently' is a horrid Latin concoction. The word 'often' is perfectly synonymous and much sweeter in my view.

I quite like from 'time to time' (or 'occasionally'), but that does suggest haphazardly rather than specifically at an appropriate time.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:20 pm

What word should be put in a this sentence if one did not wish to connote a strict schedule?
Employees will receive ____ salary reviews.
I'd say regular for a strict schedule, periodic for a whenever necessary schedule, and timely never. Timely here would imply to me that something is contingent on the review.

Perhaps, As anniversaries near, employees will receive timely performance reviews. That implies the review will be completed in time for a possible raise.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:22 am

Thanks Slava for this (hardly timely) addition to the debate. It is useful, nonetheless.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”