Caconym

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Caconym

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:08 pm

• caconym •

Pronunciation: kæ-kê-nim • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Any bad word, bad for whatever reason—badly constructed, insulting, ugly, etc.

Notes: The first caconym we need to mention is a Good Word, acronym, which is based on Greek words meaning "topmost name", which doesn't make sense. Some people would call the name Dezonia Delacrasia a caconymous burden for the child upon whom it is inflicted. This name is caconymic because it is cacophonic "bad-sounding". Of course, the vocabulary of profanity, including racial slurs, is a collection of caconyms. The adjective is caconymous [kê-kah-nê-mês] and the noun, caconymy [kê-kah-nê-mi].

In Play: Caconyms are first and foremost bad names: "No wonder he goes by the nickname 'Bud'; his parents cursed him with the caconym, Percival Aloysius." Now, if you know someone who resorts to profanity too often, you can correct them and set an example at the same time: "Leander, were your speech less caconymous, we would listen to more of what you say."

Word History: Today's is a combination of Greek kakos "bad" + onyma "name". Kakos goes back to a Proto-Indo-European root found in almost all Indo-European languages referring to defecation (English caca). It appears in several English borrowings from Greek, including cacophony, cacography, and cacodemon. Onyma comes from PIE nomen "name" which changed very little in Latin, where we find nomen "name", visible in nominal, ignominy, misnomer, and many other English borrowings. In the Germanic languages we find it as something like English name (German Name). The best guess is that moniker is a Shelta variant, munik, of Gaelic ainm "name" from the self-same source.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Caconym

Postby misterdoe » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:04 am

A few years ago I had a coworker, a temp actually, who everyone called Percy. I assumed his name was Percival. Not exactly a caconym but quite unusual these days. Our manager "outed" him when she came around asking, "Has anyone seen Pericles?" :o

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:39 am

Poor Percy! Sounds like workplace harassment to me.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:50 pm

:)
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”