Bromide

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Bromide

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu May 21, 2020 6:57 pm

• bromide •

Pronunciation: bro-maid • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A sedative, originally a chemical compound of bromine and potassium. 2. A cliché, a trite, hackneyed expression intended to soothe and placate. 3. (British slang) A boor, an unoriginal person whose ideas are commonplace, cliché.

Notes: This is a word I hear and read more rarely than earlier. Since the medicinal sedative is no longer used, it arises only in its second and third senses today. It comes with an adjective, bromidic.

In Play: Since this word no longer occurs in its medicinal sense, let's concentrate on its figurative sense: "Some politicians try to placate their constituents with the old bromide that surviving a pandemic will make us stronger in the end." But politicians are not the only ones who resort to bromides: "Nada Farthingsworth tried to comfort her friend who had just lost her fourth husband with the same old clichés and bromides: 'he's in a better place' and 'he's looking down at us right now.'"

Word History: Today's Good Word is a combination of brom- + -ide. The root brom- was taken from Greek brōmos "stench, stink". No one has any idea of how this word came to be in the Greek language. It might be related to brómos "loud noise", but there is no evidence to base such a connection on. We know no more about the suffix -ide. We borrowed this suffix from French, which inherited it from Latin -idus. In Latin it formed adjectives mostly from verbs, rarely from nouns, like vividus "vivid" < vivere "to live", fluidus "fluid" < fluere "to flow", and frigidus "cold" < frigere "to be cold". (Let's all now thank Jan Linders, a friend of Rob Towart, avoiding any bromides, for suggesting today's mysterious Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Bromide

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue May 26, 2020 2:24 am

Perhaps we should forget this word. When did you last use it? I have never had the occasion to use it.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun May 31, 2020 7:45 am

I don't know about these days, Phillip, but it was a regular point of discussion in my boarding school. It was said the authorities put it in our tea.

https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles ... 611115.htm

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:03 pm

I was never aware of the literal bromide. I appreciate the information about the use of literal bromides. The word never made it here in the hinterlands. I have heard it in it's figurative sense. I have never felt a compelling urge to use it in the figurative sense. So I choose to ignore the word altogether. Some words just aren't worth the effort.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”