Globaloney

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Globaloney

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:37 pm

• globaloney •

Pronunciation: glo-bê-lo-ni • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: Nonsensical, absurd ideas about global issues.

Notes: This word should be a nonce word, but it has crept into several dictionaries, including the granddaddy of them all, the Oxford English Dictionary. So, we must assume it is a legitimate English vocabulary item.

In Play: William L. O'Neill wrote in A Democracy at War: America's Fight at Home and Abroad in World War II (Harvard University Press, 1995, p. 197): "Wendell Willkie's One World (1942), the epitome of globaloney, sold four million copies." As late as 2017, Pankaj Ghemawat and Steven A. Altman wrote in an article in the Washington Post entitled "Is America enriching the world at its own expense? That's globaloney." It included the sentence, "And policies rooted in overestimating globalization—"globaloney"—could harm the people they purport to protect."

Word History: Globaloney is a blend of global and baloney. Global is the adjective for globe, which was borrowed from Middle French globe, inherited from Latin globus "round mass, sphere, ball". It is related to gleba "clod, lump", from a PIE word glebh-/globh- "to ball up". Glob is another word English converted from French globe. Russian glyba "clod, lump" comes from the same the PIE word. Gel- "to curl, round" is presumed to underly glebh-/globh-, because we find semantic variants ending on [m] as well, i.e. glem-/glom-. We see them in Latin glomus "ball (of yarn)", English clump and Dutch klomp "lump, clod". Baloney resulted from a mispronunciation of Bologna (sausage), as in 'baloney sandwich'. How this large, mild sausage came to be associated with nonsense is anyone's guess.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Globaloney

Postby misterdoe » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:32 am

There might be a hint of baloney's transformation to mean "nonsense" in Oscar Mayer's old slogan: "Real baloney, not phony baloney." Maybe it started out as just rhyming slang?

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:15 pm

I always thought it was the way baloney looked/is made of.
A hodgepodge of ingredients blended to the point of unrecognizability.

P.S. why is that last word not recognized as properly spelled?
Everything works out, one way or another

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:16 pm

sorry, hit wrong place... please remove the "of" from your mind's eye.
Thank you
Debby
Everything works out, one way or another

David Lloyd-Jones
Junior Lexiterian

Postby David Lloyd-Jones » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:21 pm

I don't think the "meaning" supplied for the word globaloney is accurate.
The word is a pejorative noun for policies, not ideas, more specifically for American policies involving international aid, organizations, or military involvement.
People using the word, generally venomously, tend to think of themselves as patriots or perhaps America Firsters. I would not call all of them fascists. Heaven forfend!

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:21 pm

You're too kind I think! :D
Iain

Return to “Good Word Discussion”