Salvo

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Salvo

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:58 pm

• salvo •

Pronunciation: sæl-vo • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A simultaneous discharge or release of multiple explosive objects, a sudden explosive outburst of multiple things. 2. (Capitalized, Australian slang) A member of the Salvation Army.

Notes: This word is usually associated with gunfire, but it expresses a sudden outburst of other things, too. It is a lexical orphan without any derivational family. It does present with two plurals: salvos or salvoes.

In Play: The most common sense of this word refers to gunfire: "The funeral of a Commander in Chief is highlighted with 21 salvos of gunfire." Other things may come in salvos, though: "The president's action launched a salvo of accusations about his motivations." The Australian sense caught me off guard: "The Christmas season brought out a smaller brigade of Salvos with their tinkling bells to the sidewalks."

Word History: Today's Good Word was borrowed from Italian salva "salute, volley", inherited from Latin salve "hail, hello (good health to you)", the common Roman greeting. The shift in meaning evolved from the custom of issuing a salvo of shots greeting a VIP. Latin obtained its word from PIE root sol-wo- "whole, well-kept", also the source of Sanskrit sarva- "all, whole", Armenian olj "healthy", Greek olos "whole, complete", and Latin salvus "safe, sound, healthy". English safe was borrowed from French sauf "protected, cared for", inherited from Latin salvus. Save comes from French sauver "to keep safe, protect", inherited from Late Latin salvare "to make safe, protect". (Now's the perfect time for a salvo of thank-yous to Albert Skiles for suggesting today's intriguing Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Salvo

Postby bbeeton » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:18 pm

As a child, I used to play a game called "Salvo" with my older sister. It was very similar to the board game now called "Battleship", but had a few different wrinkles, in particular that ships could be placed diagonally, and submarines hidden beneath the surface ships. This often led to winning configurations, and is how I learned to be sneaky.

Our father was a Navy man, and the wardroom was the source of several different variants on games more commonly known by other names, among them "acey-deucey" for backgammon.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:00 pm

Re: Salvo for Salvation Army. If a word can be condensed, the Australians will do it. One of my favorite cousins, John Spivey, lived in Australia for several years. He is now with The Lord. He constantly regaled me with Australian word condensations. He claimed to know three languages having added Aussie to English and Redneck. Redneck is our native language here in the hinterlands.

bbeeton: "acey-deucey" has been played by all sorts of American mariners, military and civilian, since the beginning of the last century.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:44 am

Yes, as a younger man in Australia, I once went out with the daughter of Salvo parents. She was lovely, but... this isn't the forum to explain what happened. Suffice to say, it was a once-off experience.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”