Misology

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Misology

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:44 pm

• misology •

Pronunciation: mis-ah-lê-jee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: An aversion and immunity to reason, logic, rational discourse, common sense.

Notes: Here is a topical word for current US politics. It comes with the panoply of lexical relatives accompanying all -ology words. Someone who hates reason is a misologist, and all misologists are misological because they behave misologically.

In Play: Terrorists are usually victims of extreme misology. However, this term applies to less violent organizations: "I consider Winston a misologist because he belongs to a misological political party." Global warming and Holocaust deniers are all victims of severe misology.

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from ancient Greek misologia. It first appears in Phaedo by Plato, where Phaedo claims from personal observation that misology leads to misanthropy, the hatred of mankind. It is a derivation made up of mis- "hate" + logos "word, idea, reason". Mis- is the root of misos "hate". It shares its source with the Germanic prefix mis- "badly, wrongly" as in misjudge and misspeak. Logos we've encountered many times before. It comes from PIE leg-/log- "to gather", which produced classical Greek logos and lexis "diction, speech" but also Latin lex, legis "law". The exact semantic derivation of these two meanings from that of "gather" remains a subject of rampant speculation. (Now let's join in thanking Jeremy Busch, who is never a victim of misology but a Grand Panjandrum in the Alpha Agora for suggesting today's very topical Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Misology

Postby MTC » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:07 pm

And there on Mount Rushmore, beaming back at us in freshly :D chiseled granite, our very own Misologist in Chief!

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Already?
• The Good Dr. Goodword

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:58 pm

In several much repeated emails at the very least.
I don't do twitter, facebook, etc. but this one is a frequent flyer.
Everything works out, one way or another

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:19 am

:D
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:35 pm

Some people will chisel their way into anything.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:48 pm

The comments so far are sometimes humorous but also touching and somewhat sad. The USA is badly divided now. I pray for better days. You who know me know I do not engage in political discussions in this venue. Nonetheless, I do have strongly hold to a specific political position. As a devout Christian, I do discuss religion. I suggest we pray to the Good Lord to aid us as we travel into this new year. If you are not religious, think positive thoughts. Amen!
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”