Drastic

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Drastic

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:26 pm

• drastic •

Pronunciation: dræs-tik • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Extreme in effect, severe, radical, harsh, sharp, draconian. 2. Violent, powerful, fast-acting (medicine).

Notes: This word comes with an adverb, drastically. Apparently, no one has ever found a use for a quality noun from it; neither drasticity nor even drasticness show up in a Web search. The word itself may be used as a countable noun meaning "a severe purgative".

In Play: The most frequent word drastic is associated with is measure: "The recent drop in revenue aroused drastic measures taken in the marketing department." This word usually implies bad changes, seldom good ones: "The president made drastic changes in all departments of the government."

Word History: This Good Word was heisted from the Latin version of Ancient Greek drastikos "active, efficient", the adjective derived from drasis "strength, efficacy"), itself from dran "to do". Greek drama "action, deed, acting, play" is also based on this verb. Latin borrowed this word, too, and narrowed its meaning to just "drama". No one seems to know how dran made its way into ancient Greek, so the trail abruptly ends here. It was passed on to all Romance (Latinate) languages in such forms as French drastique, Italian drastico, and Portuguese and Spanish drástico. (David Myer suggested today's fascinating Good Word, the latest in a series of them contributed over the past decade.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Drastic

Postby Slava » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:54 am

There is a web site called drasticity.com, but as it's in a language even Gargle* can't translate, I have no idea what it's about. Sports related, judging from the pictures.

And, of course, now that drasticity and drasticness have been used here, they should show up in searches. That's all it takes to create citations. Amazing, ain't it?

*Gargle is that super-major search engine that I don't want to name, just to keep it from getting even more recognition. Giggle and Gaggle, and Goggle work, too.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:58 am

Definitely futbol or soccer related and probably some east
or southeast asian language. "Gargle"(I like that) is not any
help for me either {nor Babel}.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:23 pm

The graphic symbols on the website are Chinese. The language is not Japanese or Korean as these languages use other non-chinese graphic symbols (kana and hangul respectively) in conjunction with Chinese character which are not present on the website. According to the internet, places that use Chinese characters today (other than China itself) are Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. The languages in these three areas are all some dialect of Chinese.
ps
I looked at the graphics on the site and now I suspect this site is related to gambling on football in particular and perhaps on sports in general.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:36 pm

'preciate the update. We know about HK, but is Macau,
formerly Portuguese in the same situation as HK?
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”