¿Concordancia en plural?

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

¿Concordancia en plural?

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Según un sondeo reciente, uno de cada tres encuestados afirmaron que estarían a favor de una intervención armada de Estados Unidos para lograr un cambio de gobierno en Cuba.
I've been seeing this way too often. And this is edited prose! The worst thing is it crops up in lots of languages. How can it be afirmaron and estarían if the subject is clearly uno?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

JUDYPOOH
Junior Lexiterian

Postby JUDYPOOH » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:32 pm

I agree with BD. It just sounds unpleasant.

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

CONCORDANCIA EN PLURAL?

Postby EZ2TALK » Sat May 27, 2006 7:45 am

EDITOR'S INEFFECTIVE WORK?

I WISH THAT WOULD BE THE ONLY ERROR I WOULD MAKE IN SPANISH....

KAREN+

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat May 27, 2006 8:13 pm

Karen:

Use your "indoors" voice, please. We can hear you beautifully...

-gailr

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

Postby EZ2TALK » Sun May 28, 2006 4:21 am

SORRY BUT I CANNOT SEE LOWER CASE AS WELL. I EXPLAINED TO BD IN ANOTHER POST I HAVE A HANDICAPPED MUST NOT BE WELCOME HERE...SORRY

I WAS MISTAKEN AFTER 10 YEARS I WAS READY TO JOIN THE REAL WORLS AGAIN

ENJOY YOURSELVES...FELICIDADES

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon May 29, 2006 9:56 pm

Karen, neither you nor your ideas are unwelcome here. I see you've been offered some helpful suggestions to accommodate your needs and ensure that your posts are read and taken as seriously as you would wish.

[As an aside, on some boards the mods will delete ANY posting in all caps, no questions asked...]

Short of making a single, initial, explanatory post that you have a disability and need to type in all caps, I'm not sure how you're going to get around getting the same reaction, no matter where you go. Even then, with new topics and new members, people will be taken aback.

You need to come to grips with the fact that all caps in written English indicates emphasis (or that you're holding a telegram, I suppose). Moreover, the accepted e-convention is that all caps indicates shouting; the general public cannot possibly guess that this is not your intention.

Again, I see that you've been offered some viable options. The active posters are a disparate but generally congenial group: welcoming new voices; ready to engage in interesting discussions; willing to offer suggestions to those with technical difficulties. Due to the nature of message boards, it's a disembodied group as well. Members can only be "known" by the style and content of their posts.

That means you are on equal footing if you wish to be...
Post early; post often; post to be read.
Welcome aboard...

-gailr

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

Postby EZ2TALK » Mon May 29, 2006 11:40 pm

All I can do is promise to comply with the general wishes of others. As i note as normal for me i mistakenly read even your name incorrectly , sorry. Often letters appear differently to me (especially in lower case).

I just wasnt expecting such criticisn as there is no mention of not using all caps in anything writen about postings...I just didnt expect strong critique and apparent intolerence over my type; maybe my post in general but..well, whatever.

when I read i use a magnifying glass. when I type my emails & other IM's I always use caps with my friends..they understand and there had never been a "problem" Sorry it is a habit I learned to use to accommodate my deficeits.

while the suggestion by FLAM was greatly appreciated at this time anyway i dont have the 30 bucks to purchase the program..i had to cash in laundry money this month to do groceries...(again more than you need to know about me). Maybe some other month. It was a GREAT suggestion and I DO appreciate it. Maybe as with the rest of 'parts' of my disabilities I may be able to find other ways to accommodate everyone's needs,,,including those who have difficulty READING caps...I am not in the habit of divulging my disabilites to strangers...but I felt i needed to DEFEND myself against what I 'preceived' as personal attack.

I would actually like to continue to post. I felt I'd like to as i read the previous postings, but after the few respnses felt this was perhaps too clickish for me...?

As for other chat or boards the only other i ever was involved in previosly was for other folks with TBI. So there a lot more tolerence is shown because we are all in the same canoe....and all I can say is I will try. when I am in what i call a "down cycle" of my problems i just will avoid posting...this should cover most of the problems for all. :?:

I thank you for your post it has been a pleasure.

I suppose I would have expected to be corrected by the Host rather than the an avalache of memebers' sharp responses. That would have been RECEIVED in a better light too. if anyone is in that position who wrote to me, i have no way of knowing. Nobody identified themselves as such. But all the feed back nonetheless has been appreciated and I stand corrected.

who am I ? just an ignorant new comer willing to change my ways. Am I forgiven?
Karen hasta luego~

PS can we now move on to the more appropreaite postings for this site? Please. I have been humbled.

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Tue May 30, 2006 12:01 am

Karen, you don't need to pay in order to use TextPad.

TextPad has a trial period of 30 days, during which users are free to use the software without any limitations. After the trial period elapses, TextPad urges the unregistered users to pay I-no-longer-remember-how-much amount of money by occasionally showing a small window when the user tries to save a file.

To the best of my experience with TextPad, this is the only difference between a registered copy and an unregistered copy. I don't know the motives of the software producers that let people use TextPad this way but they are aware of what they are doing and what that portends to their business.

Flam

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

Postby EZ2TALK » Tue May 30, 2006 12:23 am

FLAM,
OK, thank you i looked and yes they mentioned the trial and that if you decided to keep it they listed the price....
It seemed like something I would want to continue to use to help solve several problems...

I dont know how or if they could check if you didnt pay after 30 days...in either case if I couldnt pay it would be stealing in my mind if I knew i couldnt afford to buy it. NO?

or am I too idealistic?
Karen

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Tue May 30, 2006 1:23 am

How about EditPad Lite then? This is free for non-commercial use. Get it from here. Converting upper to lower case is possible with the following scheme on menu bar:
Convert > Invert Case.

I am always amazed at how many good softwares are provided for free or virtually free.

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

Postby EZ2TALK » Tue May 30, 2006 5:38 am

Flam, thanx i tried to download. tomorrow will see if it worked (Editpadlite)
too tired at this time to attempt to check it oout. we shall see..thank you again
karen

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue May 30, 2006 6:06 pm

SORRY BUT I CANNOT SEE LOWER CASE AS WELL. I EXPLAINED TO BD IN ANOTHER POST I HAVE A HANDICAPPED MUST NOT BE WELCOME HERE...SORRY

I WAS MISTAKEN AFTER 10 YEARS I WAS READY TO JOIN THE REAL WORLS AGAIN

ENJOY YOURSELVES...FELICIDADES
HI!

I'LL USE CAPS IF IT'S EASIER FOR YOU TO READ.

WE REALLY ARE A FRIENDLY GROUP, EVEN (ESPECIALLY) GAIL! IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM SEEING LOWER CASE, WE'LL JUST HAVE TO WORK THROUGH IT WHEN YOU POST. THE REGULAR POSTERS WILL KNOW SOONER OR LATER THAT YOU NEED TO USE ALL CAPS FOR SOME REASON. HOWEVER, MOST OF US WILL POST IN MIXED CASE. I USE TEXTPAD AND ALL IT DOES IS POP UP A WINDOW EVERY SO OFTEN WHEN YOU GO TO SAVE A FILE, ASKING YOU TO REGISTER OR TO CONTINUE WITH WHAT YOU WERE DOING.

SOME OF US DO HAVE A VARIABLE-LENGTH FUSE, SOMETIMES SHORT, SOMETIMES LONG. SOME OF US TEND TO HAVE A WARPED SENSE OF HUMOR AT TIMES. SOME OF US ARE EVEN A LITTLE TOO SARCASTIC AT TIMES. BUT ENOUGH ABOUT ME. JUST LIKE VOTING, REMEMBER TO POST EARLY AND POST OFTEN. :wink: AND DON'T FORGET TO ADD A SMILEY IF YOU NEED TO. CONVERSATION IS MEANT TO BE DONE IN PERSON SO YOU CAN PICK UP ON VISUAL CUES. IN WRITTEN CONVERSATION, YOU CAN SAY ONE THING AND THE OTHER PARTY WILL THINK YOU MEANT ANOTHER, AND THAT CAN LEAD TO FLAME WARS, OR WORSE. I REMEMBER A LETTER I WROTE TO A NEW GIRLFRIEND BACK IN COLLEGE . . . BUT THAT'S ANOTHER, VERY OLD, STORY. :D
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue May 30, 2006 9:31 pm

sorry I can't read all caps it makes my head hurt. I guess this isn't the group for me,

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed May 31, 2006 12:20 am

SEE WHAT I MEAN, KAREN? :lol:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed May 31, 2006 9:54 am

I mean it, all caps are spidery and hard to read, I squint, I get a headache, Stargzer always wants to look like the good guy. so be it I am the bad guy, but I can't read all caps, neither can anyone else I'll bet, so you just go ahead and write in all caps and this place will turn into the empty hall the yourdictionary site is..This isn't the only place she'll find a problem with caps. How do I know? Because when I first started on the internet and everyone asked why I was shouting, I whined about my handicaps too.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Languages of the World”