Cogent

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Cogent

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:39 pm

• cogent •

Pronunciation: ko-jênt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Clear and compelling, logical, rational, appealing to reason.

Notes: We live in times when politics is far from cogent. Still, this word survives with its adverb, cogently, and noun, cogency.

In Play: This word comes in handy when talking about making cases: "Ferdi could not make a cogent case for helicopter ejector seats." He also failed to make one for electric forks. Cogent is also useful in distinguishing good arguments from bad ones: "Greta offered a cogent and convincing argument for trying to settle the dispute by negotiation before resorting to war."

Word History: Our word today was borrowed from Latin cogen(t)s, the present participle of cogere "to drive together, to collect". Cogere is made up of an assimilated form of com "together" + agere "to move, lead, drive, conduct". Latin inherited com from PIE kom- "beside, near, (together) with"). As a prefix it is reduced to co- before vowels. Otherwise, it becomes col- before words beginning with L, before words starting on R it becomes cor-, and before all other consonants it assimilates to con-. Latin made agere from PIE ag- "to drive, draw out or forth, move". The Latin participle of this word is agen(t)s "moving", which English borrowed as agent and agenda. The past participle was actus, which found its way into English act, actor, actual and several other words.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

rrentner
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Cogent

Postby rrentner » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:33 am

This one surprised me! I had imagined that cogent was related to the Latin cogitare, if that is the infinitive of the famous cogito, meaning "I think". I guess I though cogent had originally meant "thought out well".

Philip Hudson
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Cogent

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Here in the hinterlands we cogitate a lot. We have a sort of motto:
"Sometimes I jist sits n thanks.
Sometimes I jist sits."
I might hope any cogitation would render cogent statements. But I can't count on it.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”