GONGOOZLE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

GONGOOZLE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:16 pm

• gongoozle •

Pronunciation: gahng-guz-êl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: To ogle, to rubber-neck, gawk at, to kibbitz, to stare intensely at something.

Notes: This funny word has been around since the turn of the century but gained currency around 1970 among Britain's canal travelers, beginning in L. C. T. Rolt's novel about canal life, 'Narrow Boat' published in 1944. Gongoozlers are the ones who gongoozle, of course, and their occupation is known up and down the canals as gongoozling.

In Play: I see no reason to quarantine this dandy expression to the British canal system; bring it up any time a friend drops by: "Don't just stand there and gongoozle, grab a paintbrush and join in the fun!" And why not call the gongoozlers at the football game what they are? Spectators has much too staid a ring to it. But then if you are away at college, you know that gongoozling guys and gals at sporting events is a sporting event itself (and forget scoping out).

Word History: The origin of this word is uncertain but it may have originated in Lincolnshire as gawn "stare vacantly or curiously" + gooze "stare aimlessly, gape.' It is possibly related to the Southeastern US word goozle "uvula," that little punching bag hanging from the top of your throat which is visible when the mouth is agape, as it sometimes is when ogling. The similarity of this Good Word to ogle, goo-goo-eyed, and goggles is probably not an innocent one, either.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:50 pm

This is a new one to me. I wonder why we have so many staring words with a g in them.

I'm also wondering about the kibitz in the definition. I've never seen this used as a staring word. It's always been "to provide unwanted advice." Usually at cards or some such game.

Any comments?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”