MANTRA

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

MANTRA

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:48 am

• mantra •

Pronunciation: mæn-trê

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A sacred phrase of Hinduism, usually taken from the Vedas, repeated in prayer or meditation as an invocation to the gods. 2. Any phrase that is monotonously repeated over and over.
Notes: Today's word comes straight from Sanskrit but, like all the words that English helps itself to in other languages, it has taken on its own English sense. It is a lexical orphan; it has no verb or adjective relatives.

In Play: Although Hindus still consider mantras sacred, in the English language it has taken on a distinctly pejorative sense: "Every time I ask Mr. Welch for a raise, he repeats his mantra about cutting costs." Keep this word away from your children. You don't want to hear things like, "Mom! I'm sick and tired of your mantra about cleaning up my room!"

Word History: Today's Good Word was originally Sanskrit, meaning "a (sacred) thought, counsel" from manyate "he thinks". This same verb also underlies Spanish mandarin "high-ranking government official", borrowed from Malay menteri, who got it from Sanskrit mantri(n) "counselor"—mantra with the suffix –in. If this word reminds you of mental, you are right on track. This English word comes from Latin mens, mentis "mind", which later became a suffix meaning "the idea of," found in borrowed words like statement and agreement. Though the praying mantra is quite different from the praying mantis, their names spring from the same stock: Greek mantis "prophet, seer" is also connected with minds and thinking. English mind? This is our legitimate heir to the same ancient root (*men-) which probably meant "to think".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:02 am

He kept harping on that same old mantra about how blood is thicker than water until I finally said, "Look! You are only my step-brother! There is no blood to be thicker with! And I am not loaning you the money just to get drunk and gamble! Got it!"

Apoclima
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Example

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:09 am

Wow! That example is better than mine. Wish I'd heard it in time.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

KatyBr
Wordmaster

thicker blood?

Postby KatyBr » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:11 pm

Ah, Apoclima is like that, gets right to the nitty gritty, but I'm just guessing here, as I know no one in this brand new MG.

Katy

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:36 pm

No one, Katy?

Well, allow me to introduce myself. I live in North Carolina. (Some people may automatically draw some conclusions from that statement. :wink: ) I have 3 kids and a wife of 13 years. And I pledge to shy away from political discussions.

-Tim :D

KatyBr
Wordmaster

identity

Postby KatyBr » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:52 pm

Well, it was a fiction I was trying hard to maintain, your identity, Since you used a nom de plume I allowed your pretension to go on. who am I to reveal secrets?

Katy

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:25 pm

It's great getting to know new people, isn't it?

Apoclima
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

new friends

Postby KatyBr » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:34 pm

oh yes Apo, now I have two New friends! er, may I call you Apo?

Katy

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:05 pm

Sure, Apo, is fine! That's what my friend call me!

Just don't let it become a mantra!

Apo

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Tarheels

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:32 am

Tim,

I've bragged about this so many times, I'm not sure if you realized it, but I, too, am from Fayetteville, NC--grew up in the same household as Dr. Language of YDC, in fact. We always had words for each other growing up.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

KatyBr
Wordmaster

schizophrenic's mantra

Postby KatyBr » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:37 pm

(strictly TIC, I promise!)
"I'm ok, And so am I"

Katy
Dr. Bob, may I introduce you to Dr. Bob!
Oh I get it the NEW Dr. Language.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:35 pm

It looks like this was the very first word in this thread.
It was a great discussion among new people.
The Welcome was itself a "mantra".
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”