PRIVY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

PRIVY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:02 pm

• privy •

Pronunciation: pri-vee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective, Noun

Meaning: 1. [Adjective] Having access to confidential information (privy to plans of war). 2. [Adjective] Private, confidential, as a privy council, a council that advises a head of state on the most secret and confidential of matters. 3. [Adjective] Secluded, hidden, as a privy place to escape family. 4. [Noun] A bathroom or toilet.

Notes: Although the history below shows that privy and private share the same ultimate source, the meaning of the word changed at least as much as its forms. Private still refers to that which is personal and individual but privy drifted to a sense of secluded privacy and thence to the sense of what is the only place of seclusion in the house, the bathroom. An interesting sidenote: American speakers change the pronunciation of privy in the noun, privacy, but the British do not. Americans look for a little privacy [prai-vê-see] ([pr] + "eye") but the British look for a bit of privacy [pri-vê-see].

In Play: The widest use of this word is in the sense of having access to confidential information: "Grinnell's secretary is privy to all his telephone calls and she lets his wife know of anything suspicious." However, don't forget the other three: "The only privy place I have to read my privy mail is in the privy."

Word History: English has been lifting words from other languages for so long it has often picked up two words from one by borrowing the same word at different historical periods of its development. Today's word originated with Latin privatus "deprived of (public office)" hence "private, civilian", the past participle of privare "to deprive". We borrowed the Latin form. As you know, however, French is simply Latin as it developed in France, so that word remained in French and became privé "private". We borrowed the French form, too, and it ended up as today's Good Word, privy. The Latin verb privare, by the way, is based on the adjective privus "single, individual", a word that shares its origin with the English word first. (Now I will make all our readers privy to the fact that Susanne Southwood is the individual who suggested today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:16 pm

A nice word, and one that took me years to get a handle on. I remember as a child trying to reconcile the idea of the privy with what a privy counselor might be. They didn't quite go together in my feeble brain.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:25 pm

Although the history below shows that privy and private share the same ultimate source, the meaning of the word changed at least as much as its forms. Private still refers to that which is personal and individual but privy drifted to a sense of secluded privacy and thence to the sense of what is the only place of seclusion in the house, the bathroom. An interesting sidenote: American speakers change the pronunciation of privy in the noun, privacy, but the British do not. Americans look for a little privacy [prai-vê-see] ([pr] + "eye") but the British look for a bit of privacy [pri-vê-see

Which causes small children entering school such
consternation for a while. Public lavatories. And why
Teachers always take time to take the boys into the girls
and girls into the boys upon introduction to school.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”