DETRITUS

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

DETRITUS

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:52 pm

• detritus •

Pronunciation: di-trai-tês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: 1. Loose pieces of rock and such worn away by rubbing or weathering. 2. Left-over debris or waste matter from anything.

Notes: This odd little word comes from a dysfunctional family: the noun is detrition, but there is no verb to detrite, as we might expect. It is cousin to detriment, since too much rubbing is a detriment to most objects. Just avoid confusing the ending -us on this noun with the more common adjective ending -ous, which is pronounced the same way.

In Play: Detritus is first and foremost the left-over waste from physical activity of some kind: "Milligan doesn't clean up his shop until the detritus from all his wood-working projects is knee-deep." More broadly, though, this word can refer to the refuse of anything, concrete or abstract: "The network talk shows today amount to the detritus of political thought, ideas thought up and discarded years ago."

Word History: Detritus is the past participle of Latin deterere "to wear down, to lessen" (unrelated to deter). This verb is composed of de- "(away) from" + terere "to rub", which makes the origin of the meaning is clear. The same root turns up in Russian teret' "to rub" but came down to English with a suffix, leading to our words thresh and thrash, which is to rub very hard, indeed. Without the prefix de-, today's word is tritus "worn out", which English wore down to trite, while significantly altering its meaning to "trivial and banal".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:05 pm

If I remember correctly, I first learned this word in school while reading about glaciers and the rocks they leave behind as they melt.

I also made the mistake of pronouncing it as DETritus, but I know better now.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”