SPHERISTERIUM

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

SPHERISTERIUM

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:02 pm

• spheristerium •

Pronunciation: sfi-ri-ste-ri-yêm • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A place, room in a school, bath, courtyard, or stadium for playing ball, especially a room for playing handball. The Greeks called it a spheristerion.

Notes: The Greeks and Romans played several games with balls for physical training. Pila "ball" was played in a room called a spheristerium. The object was to throw the ball up and catch it without letting it touch the floor or ground. The Greek game Phaininda corresponded to Roman harpastum, a game played with an 8" ball of leather sewn around sponges and animal fur. The rules suggest it was similar to rugby and was played in a stadium on a field about the size of a football field. We may pluralize this word spheristeria or spheristeriums.

In Play: This Good Word would add class to any ballpark near you. How about Yankee Spheristerium? We would, of course, have to write new songs, since Take me out to the Spheristerium will not make you tap your feet. That doesn't mean this word is useless. Imagine how you'll impress your friends with this invitation: "I'll meet you over at the spheristerium at 5:30 for a round of handball."

Word History: Today's word is a Roman imitation of Greek sphairisterion, the locational (place) noun from the word sphaire "ball", origin of the English word sphere. It also underlies the name of another ball game played by the ancient Greeks, sphairistike, played by bouncing balls off courtyard walls. In 1874, Major Walter C. Wingfield patented in London the equipment and rules for a game under the name of sphairistike. However, the name proved too difficult to pronounce and sales slumped until the name was replaced by lawn tennis. It then quickly evolved into the game of tennis we know and love today.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:41 pm

So, this makes a spheristerium the original ball room, eh?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Original Ball Room

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:50 pm

My guess would be that all you need is a mirror-tile sphere rotating overhead to be dancing in a spheristerium :roll:

(I've never noticed these cute fellows before.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Original Ball Room

Postby Stargzer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:58 am

... :roll:

I hope you're talking about the list of Emoticons that sit next to the edit window. Then again, we may begin to wonder about your peripheral vision and whether or not you should be driving a motor vehicle. If you are, stay in Lewisburg, please! :twisted:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Original Ball Room

Postby Perry » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:55 pm

My guess would be that all you need is a mirror-tile sphere rotating overhead to be dancing in a spheristerium :roll:

Or would that be dancing under the spheristerium? BTW, I'll never look at those things the same way after last week's episode of Warehouse 13.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”