Turpitude

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Turpitude

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:29 pm

• turpitude •

Pronunciation: têr-pê-tyud • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: Moral degeneracy, depravity.

Notes: If you need the sense of this word in an adjective, turpitudinous is the one you want. You may add the suffix -ly to use it as an adverb.

In Play: To lose tenure at a US university, you must be found guilty of "moral turpitude". Since this phrase is redundant, however, scholars have explored the world for other types of possible turpitude: "Despite having tenure, Seamus Allgood was dismissed from the university for intellectual turpitude". (I credit this phrase to John Barth, who used it, I think first, in his 1966 novel about academia, <i>Giles Goat-Boy</i>.) Without a modifier, turpitude always refers to moral decay: "We see a swelling wave of turpitude in society today, and far too many people trying to surf it."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes to us via French from Latin turpitudo "ugliness, deformity; turpitude", a noun based on turpis "ugly, filthy". We can see the semantic trail of this word, which seems to lead from "deformity" to "ugliness" to "moral ugliness". The fact that the word once meant "deformity", suggests that it might be related to a little used Latin verb, trepidare "to shake, be agitated", and may have originally meant "shaken". But this is mostly speculation. We do know that turpitude is no relation of turpentine. That word came to English from Old French terebentine, the natural descendant of Latin terebinthina. This word refers to the tree whose resin originally produced turpentine, the terebinth tree.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Turpitude

Postby Slava » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:31 am

A couple of thoughts upon this word's roots:

I immediately thought of the movie "Bridge to Terebithia," wondering if they might be related somehow. Here is a nice little blog post I found on the Internot.

In that piece, it mentions of course, the terebinth tree, giving its scientific name; Pistacia terebinthus. This takes us back to Middle Persian, and one of the more popular nuts, the pistachio. Which I was surprised to find out is a member of the cashew family.

So, tangentially, pistachios are related to turpentine. Who'd'a thunk?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:10 am

The chemical/biological links are even broader than that. Cashews and pistachios are also related to poison ivy. I enjoy cashews and pistachios, but am highly allergic to poison ivy--I can't figure that out.

Note this description from Wikipedia:

People who are allergic to cashew (or poison ivy) urushiols may cross-react to mango or pistachio which are also in the Anacardiaceae family.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Well, potatoes are related to deadly nightshade, and tomatoes too, I think. How many potatoes would you have to eat to O.D. as opposed to nightshade berries? Do you know that when there is a green layer visible under potato skin that that is potentially toxic? Again, how much would you have to eat...

This is why I get so agitated when people talk about "natural" ingredients being safe by dint of being natural. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, no?
Everything works out, one way or another

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:56 pm

George, I'm not chastising you. Perfectly ok to ponder such anomalies, no?

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:40 pm

We are in agreement. I've never been much for the promiscuous use of the word "natural" as if that means something is necessarily better or safer.

I remember seeing Joan Rivers doing her stand-up comedy shtick many years ago. There was a woman in the first row of the theater who was in the latter months of pregnancy. Rivers chatted her up kindly, laying a trap, and asked "Are you going to have 'natural' childbirth?" "Oh yes!" the woman gushed. Rivers shot back: "Why would you choose pain? Do you have 'natural' dentistry?"

OK, that was an easy laugh line, but the reality is that prior to the 20th century in developed countries, 'natural' childbirth was a major cause of death among women. Modern obstetrical techniques have reduced infant and maternal mortality rates--as well as reducing pain for those who don't like pain.

"Natural," "gluten free," "vegan," "organic" ... these shibboleths are often based on fad, an aesthetic or putatively ethical choice, a poor understanding of science, or some romantic notion that once we lived in the Garden of Eden where everything was safe and superior--and 'natural.' But life in the 'natural' world can be nasty, short and brutish.

We are the beneficiary of thousands of generations of human ancestors ingesting stuff to figure out what is useful, what is harmful and what is indigestible. And the remarkable ancestors who discovered that heating or cooking made some previously useless (or only marginally useful) stuff quite nutritious. It turns out the harmful stuff in some nuts (like cashews and pistachios) is in the oil which is contained in the shell. Removing the shell or heating the nut eliminated most of the danger of the toxins. I imagine lots of my ancestors died figuring that out. All to allow me to enjoy cashews with my bourbon.

Vaccines are 'natural' but they are also toxins. A small dose of a virus (or of a genetically related virus) can force the body to develop an immunity to the full blown disease. In the 18th century we discovered that milk maids were less susceptible to small pox. The reason was that milk maids often contracted cow pox, a relatively mild disease that makes the human body produce useful antibodies. Some intrepid soul figured out that intentional exposure to the cow pox virus could ward off its more lethal cousin, small pox. (Etymology note: cow = vaca, from which the word "vaccine" arose.) Viruses are natural. Sometimes they can kill you, sometimes they can save you.

So there is nothing necessarily privileged by the status of being 'natural.' Health and survival require us to pick our poisons.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:01 am

We are the beneficiary of thousands of generations of human ancestors ingesting stuff to figure out what is useful, what is harmful and what is indigestible.
I have a sister who was an anthropologist. She told me one time that the staple food in South America, manioc, or cassava, contains cyanide. In order to make it safe to eat, the indigenous peoples had to put it through 13 steps (I think that's the right number). I could not imagine what made them turn back to try it again that many times!

Cassava in it's natural state, sir? Or would you prefer it processed...
Yes, indeed, we do agree on this one.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:50 pm

"We see a swelling wave of turpitude in society today, and far too many people trying to surf it."
Rousing applause for Doc's genius producing this line!!!
pl

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:13 pm

manioc, or cassava, contains cyanide...
Cassava in it's natural state, sir? Or would you prefer it processed...
Yes, indeed, we do agree on this one.
I used to work across the street from a bodega that served various Latin American dishes alongside ones I was more used to, and many mornings I ate eggs and sausage with "yuca," as they called it, instead of grits. I had no idea it has cyanide in its natural state! :shock:

The good Doctor also mentioned the Latin verb trepidare being little used. But that's where we get intrepid and trepidation, isn't it? :?

As for potatoes being tinged green, I thought that was a reaction to being under store lights too long. Is that a naturally-occurring situation?

And let's face it -- everything humans produce is synthesized from something else. Meaning that, even if it came straight from a lab, it can truthfully be called "100% natural." :o

Return to “Good Word Discussion”