Cumber

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Cumber

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:50 pm

• cumber •

Pronunciation: kêm-bêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To burden or make difficult, to hamper, hinder. 2. To block, to impede, to hold back.

Notes: English speakers usually add the meaningless prefix en- to this word, making it encumber. I describe cumber instead because I thought most Good Word readers would be curious as to where cumbersome comes from. It is unrelated to Cumberland, a part of Cumbria, whence its name, famous for its Lake District.

In Play: We can use this word as we would encumber: "Darling, I couldn't stop by the market on the way home from soccer practice, because I was cumbered by so many kids." We may be cumbered by emotions, too: "Malcolm plodded on, cumbered as he was by many cares."

Word History: Today's word comes to us from Old French combrer "to block up, hinder, thwart", based on combre "hindrance". Combrer was inherited by French from a presumable Late Latin verb, combrare, built out of combrus "barricade, obstacle". This word may be a reduction of classical Latin cumulus "heap, pile", derived from Proto-Indo-European ku-m-olo-, a suffixed shortened form of root keue- "to swell". Other words derived from this PIE word are Sanskrit svayati "swells up, becomes strong", Greek kyein "to swell", Lithuanian šaunas "firm, solid, fit, capable". According to the American Heritage Dictionary the original root may have been borrowed from Celtic comboros, but AHD takes it no further than that; it doesn't even give a meaning for the Celtic word.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

jfink68510
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Cumber

Postby jfink68510 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:38 pm

Many of us have encountered a form of cumber in the the well-known Christian hymn, "Take it to the Lord in Prayer": "Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care..."
jfink

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Been waiting for someone to cue the obvious pun.
pl

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Oh, dear. Don't punish me so.
Everything works out, one way or another

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:12 am

I feel so unencumbered with cares that I am as cool as a cucumber.

BTW: cool as a cucumber is from the fact that the inside of a cuke on a warm day is ~20 degrees lower than air temperature.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”