Erudite

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Erudite

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:43 pm

• erudite •

Pronunciation: ee-ru-dait • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A person who is rude on the Internet—in e-mails, Tweets, Facebook pages, etc.

Notes: This new word is sometimes still spelled with a hyphen, e-rudite. It can also be used as an adjective, 'The president is so erudite, I'm surprised that anyone listens to his tweets'. The erudites practice eruditery or eruditism.

In Play: We may think these people are in control of the Web: "We have to resist the erudites' take-over of the Internet!" They resort to all sorts of impolite practices, subtle or not: "Don't you hate the erudites who send you e-mail messages all in caps?"

Word History: Today's Good Word consists of e- + rud- + -ite, where e- is short for electronic which has been influenced by the intensifier e-, as in e-normous, e-specially, and e-levate. Rud- you should recognize as rude. -Ite is the usual terminator denoting a group of people having a certain questionable character such as ludd-ite and social-ite. So someone considered an erudite is one who belongs to a group of especially unsophisticated and probably depraved individuals who communicate electronically. (Let us not be so erudite as to forget to thank April Phule for submitting this brand new Good Word. Let's also thank our old South African friend Chris Stewart for remembering April Fool's Day in America, Brazil, and Czechia back in 2008. [Dr. Goodword never forgets.])
• The Good Dr. Goodword

czarinakat
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Erudite

Postby czarinakat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:56 am

Too, too funny. Unlike some, I don't like to have a limited vocabulary, especially when it comes to adjectives. I will think of this with every new tweet. Thank you, Dr. Goodword!

Christopher Marlowe
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Christopher Marlowe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:40 pm

This one is kind of lame. The slang, "online" meaning that is completely different from its "real world" meaning. It tries to pass for clever but fails, IMHO.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:30 pm

I liked it...
pl

Eileen Opiolka
Lexiterian

Postby Eileen Opiolka » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:08 pm

I liked it too. It has great potential for further development. :D

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:31 am

I liked it too. It has great potential for further development. :D
I'll toss out "erudidiocy" for starters. :D
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”