Parameter

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Parameter

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue May 23, 2017 10:41 pm

• parameter •

Pronunciation: pê-ræm-ê-têr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. One of a set of factors that define a system and determine its behavior. 2. (Mathematics) A constant in an equation that varies in other equations of the same general form.

Notes: Probably because of confusion with perimeter, this word recently has been used to refer to any factor determining or limiting a range of variations. You are more likely to establish the perimeters of a mine field than any of its parameters. Be careful when referring to factors that limit variations; perimeter is more likely the term you need. The adjective for today's word is parametric(al) and the adverb, parametrically. This word has a verb, too, parameterize, meaning "to characterize in terms of parameters".

In Play: Everything has its parameters: "Road rage has added an unexpected new parameter to driving in the United States." Now, here is a borderline case: "Constance has written something outside the parameters of modern fiction." This is OK so long as it means that the factors determining modern fiction do not apply to Constance's work. However, perimeter would also work here.

Word History: Today's Good Word is a modification of New Latin parametrum "line parallel to the curve generated by the intersection of a plane with a circular cone". The Latin word was made up of Greek constituents: para "beside" + metron "measure". The Greek preposition para comes from the same source as English for, German für "for", French pour "for", and many others across the Indo-European languages. Metron seems to have come from PIE me- "measure", which ended on some unknown consonant. In English, it emerged with an L as meal, which retains some of the old sense of measure in piecemeal. In Old English, it also turned up with an N in mon "moon", which we retain today in Monday. We also have moon, a universal measure of time.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

gwray
Lexiterian

Re: Parameter

Postby gwray » Wed May 24, 2017 2:05 pm

I believe that the word 'parameter' began with its mathematical sense and gained its 'factor that defines a system and determines its behavior' through semantic broadening. It is a useful term that conveys a precise meaning. "Mary knew that humidity, temperature, and sunlight affected the growth of roses so she experimented to see how variations in these parameters affected the growth of her beloved orchids".

When I think of parameter, I think of something that can be manipulated such as speed limits or traffic enforcement. I would consider that road rage is better characterized as a variable or complication.

I applaud the effort to reduce further semantic broadening of this term as it reduces precision and can create ambiguity. The broader (and I think incorrect meaning) illustrated in the following sentence can best be expressed by the words 'limit' or 'bounds'. "George exceeded the parameters of his job function".

I suspect that this use is not due to confusion between parameter and perimeter, but rather due to grandiloquence by people to don't comprehend the nuances of the word.
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver Proverbs 25:11

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri May 26, 2017 1:57 pm

I had a friend who was a Greek professor who liked to say words don't have meanings, they have usages. So I wonder whether perimeter is overlapping to change the connotation of parameter in, not just popular, but technical usage. I have the impression the term's usage is emerging from computer science.
pl

gwray
Lexiterian

Postby gwray » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:50 am

I am quite familiar with parameter as a computer term for information passed into a subroutine. The subroutine performs some general activity (such as drawing a rectangle) and the passed parameters (e.g. length and width) determine its behaviour.
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver Proverbs 25:11

Return to “Good Word Discussion”