BIVOUAC

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

BIVOUAC

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:48 pm

Bivouac
SYLLABICATION: biv·ou·ac

PRONUNCIATION: bĭ' vōō-ăk', bĬv' wăk'

NOUN: A temporary encampment often in an unsheltered area.

INTRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: biv·ou·acked, biv·ou·ack·ing, biv·ou·acs also biv·ou·acks
To camp in a bivouac.

ETYMOLOGY: French, from German dialectal beiwacht, supplementary night watch : bei-, beside (from Middle High German bi-, from Old High German; see ambhi in Appendix I) + Wacht, watch, vigil (from Middle High German wahte, from Old High German wahta; see weg- in Appendix I).
Etymology:
bivouac
1702, from Fr., ult. from Swiss/Alsatian biwacht "night guard," from bei- "double, additional" + wacht "guard." Original meaning was an army that stayed up on night watch; sense of "outdoor camp" is 1853. Not a common word in Eng. before the Napoleonic Wars.
"Sol Dats never camped out with his son's Boy Scout Troop because he said he would never again bivouac after he left the Army."

"Buying that new Sony game system was more of a bivouac than a wait in line."
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:49 am

Your bivouac for the night is the spot where you got tired of marching that day.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:12 pm

Your bivouac for the night is the spot where you got tired of marching that day.
I thought it was where your commander got tired of marching for the day ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:48 pm

I thought it was where your commander got tired of marching for the day ...
In my case, it was more like where my commander's commander thougth we should be tired of marching for the day.

Reminds me of another military saying...the most dangerous thing in the world is a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:00 pm

Like David Schwimmer's character in Band of Brothers ...
Regards//Larry

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”