patience

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

patience

Postby Bailey » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:30 am

pa·tience (pshns)
n.
1. The capacity, quality, or fact of being patient.
2. Chiefly British The game solitaire.
Synonyms: patience, long-suffering, resignation, forbearance
These nouns denote the capacity to endure hardship, difficulty, or inconvenience without complaint. Patience emphasizes calmness, self-control, and the willingness or ability to tolerate delay: Our patience will achieve more than our force Edmund Burke.
Long-suffering is long and patient endurance, as of wrong or provocation: The general, a man not known for docility and long-suffering, flew into a rage.
Resignation implies acceptance of or submission to something trying, as out of despair or necessity: I undertook the job with an air of resignation.
Forbearance denotes restraint, as in retaliating, demanding what is due, or voicing disapproval: "It is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity towards each other" Patrick Henry.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/patience
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
The Bible likes to call it Long suffering and I'm here to tell ya folks that's what it is sometimes.
Patience ain't all it's cracked up to be. I sometimes need novacaine.

mark suffering-a-long-time! Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:30 am

I'm reminded of the oooollllllddddd cartoon to two vultures sitting on a dead tree branch. One says to the other, "Patience my [Aunt Fanny]! I'm gonna go kill something!"
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:39 am

yeah, like that; it's way overrated.

mark never-went-to-medical-school Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:06 pm

I'm reminded of the oooollllllddddd cartoon to two vultures sitting on a dead tree branch. One says to the other, "Patience my [Aunt Fanny]! I'm gonna go kill something!"
Gary Larson, wasn't it?

Patience is one thing I'll never pray for...I just might get it.
And I don't like how you generally end up getting more of it...

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”