lunula

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

lunula

Postby Bailey » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:45 pm

lu·nu·la (lny-l)
n. pl. lu·nu·lae (-l)
A small crescent-shaped structure or marking, especially the white area at the base of a fingernail that resembles a half-moon.

[New Latin lnula, from Latin, crescent-shaped ornament, diminutive of lna, moon; see leuk- in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
mark will-probably-not-have-much-use-for-this Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:54 pm

especially the white area at the base of a fingernail that resembles a half-moon.
At last I know what this is called. But how do I work this into a conversation?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:24 pm

especially the white area at the base of a fingernail that resembles a half-moon.
At last I know what this is called. But how do I work this into a conversation?
The interview candidate was so nervous, he chewed his fingernails all the way down to the lunulae.

Harder to find a rhyme.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”