catholic

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

catholic

Postby Perry » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:59 pm

[Sorry if this has been covered already.]
Catholic - adj.
1.) Catholic (of or relating to or supporting Catholicism) "the Catholic Church"
2.) catholic (free from provincial prejudices or attachments) "catholic in one's tastes"

There is some irony in the two definitions, as the tastes of the Catholic Church are not so catholic.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:39 am

Well, Perry, that was only the Quick Definition from OneLook. Try the American Heritage Dictionary, the Favorite of our own Dr. Goodword, on for size:

catholic

SYLLABICATION: cath·o·lic

ADJECTIVE: 1. Of broad or liberal scope; comprehensive: “The 100-odd pages of formulas and constants are surely the most catholic to be found” (Scientific American). 2. Including or concerning all humankind; universal: “what was of catholic rather than national interest” (J.A. Froude). 3. Catholic a. Of or involving the Roman Catholic Church. b. Of or relating to the universal Christian church. c. Of or relating to the ancient undivided Christian church. d. Of or relating to those churches that have claimed to be representatives of the ancient undivided church.

NOUN: Catholic A member of a Catholic church, especially a Roman Catholic.

ETYMOLOGY: Middle English catholik, universally accepted, from Old French catholique, from Latin catholicus, universal, from Greek katholikos, from katholou, in general : kat-, kata-, down, along, according to; see cata– + holou (from neuter genitive of holos, whole; see sol- in Appendix I).

OTHER FORMS: ca·tholi·cal·ly —ADVERB
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:51 am

Did you expect me to do all of the work? The irony still remains IMHO.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:15 pm

Perry, once I understood the derivation, I saw it more as wishful thinking than irony...
-gailr

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”