pachyderm

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

pachyderm

Postby skinem » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:16 pm

pachy·derm

Pronunciation: \ˈpa-ki-ˌdərm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French pachyderme, from Greek pachydermos thick-skinned, from pachys thick + derma skin; akin to Sanskrit bahu dense.
Date: 1838
: any of various nonruminant mammals (as an elephant, a rhinoceros, or a hippopotamus) of a former group (Pachydermata) that have hooves or nails resembling hooves and usually thick skin; especially : elephant

Ok, we all know what this is, but I didn't know it also applied to rhinos and hippos.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: pachyderm

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:20 pm

pachy·derm

Pronunciation: \ˈpa-ki-ˌdərm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French pachyderme, from Greek pachydermos thick-skinned, from pachys thick + derma skin; akin to Sanskrit bahu dense.

When she took to biopsies off of my back last year my dermatologist told me I have very thick skin on my back. I told her it came from working for the Federal Government for over 30 years. :lol: I did notice then, and just recently, that when she stuck a needle in my back to numb the site I instinctively moved forward, away from the needle, but that same reaction didn't occur when she numbed my shoulder or any other part of my body. Some instincts just stay with you. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”