hazard

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
gailr
Grand Panjandrum

hazard

Postby gailr » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:45 am

Hazard
1167, from O.Fr. hasard "game of chance played with dice," possibly from Sp. azar "an unfortunate card or throw at dice," which is said to be from Arabic az-zahr (for al-zahr) "the die." But this is doubtful because of the absence of zahr in classical Arabic dictionaries. Klein suggests Ar. yasara "he played at dice;" Ar. -s- regularly becomes Sp. -z-. The -d was added in Fr. in confusion with the native suffix -ard. Sense of "chance of loss or harm, risk," first recorded 1548; the verb sense of "put something at stake in a game of chance" is from 1530. Hazardous in the sense of "perilous" is from 1618.
AHD adds:
NOUN: 1. A chance; an accident. 2. A chance of being injured or harmed; danger: Space travel is full of hazards. 3. A possible source of danger: a fire hazard. 4. Games A dice game similar to craps. 5. Sports An obstacle, such as a sand trap, found on a golf course.
Contemporary usage: Clicking the hazard lights on an older Taurus is a crap shoot.

The etymology of this word makes me wonder whether it was partially a souvenir of the crusades. The earliest attested date above is 1167, which falls between 2nd (1147–1148) and 3rd (1189–1192).

Does a history buff care to hazard a guess?

-gailr

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:47 am

Well the Crusades were pretty hazardous to all sides...
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:43 pm

This entry brought to mind the phrase par hasard, "by chance";
I hadn't thought of this since living years ago in France.

The car reference called to mind my Mom (venerable Taurean);
Though not so much a Ford, she- to me more like a DeLorean.

Burma Shave

Moral: Quit while you're ahead
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Ou tu a habite, dans l'epoch? (I ain't going to find the accent marks, so just imagine that they are there.)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm

Ou tu a habite, dans l'epoch? (I ain't going to find the accent marks, so just imagine that they are there.)
Alors, j'ai fait le Vendange à Beaujolais (et puis à Nevers), une semaine visitant dans Chamonix, et ensuite quelques mois au dehors de Paris, où j'ai travaillé comme au pair garçon. C'était une bonne aventure.

This is so cool, having spellcheck flag every word. I'm such a tease.

Le Vendange is the annual wine harvest, where local viticulteurs need their grapes harvested tout de suite when the time is ripe. They'll hire hordes of whoever shows up- mostly Europeans and North Africans- to gather les raisins, they house them and feed them the most magnificent (and munificent) French country meals imaginable. Then they pay you and send you on your way with wine. I got the idea from a Mother Earth News article (archived here) at the time.
Last edited by sluggo on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:50 pm

Aww, Perry! Just look to the left of the compose box where all the Emoticons are and click the More Emoticons and Accented Characters link to find most of the needed accented characters, including a schwa (ə, Ə) for those fonts that can display it.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:54 pm

... dehors de Paris ... C'était une bonne aventure.
I don't think I'm going to touch that translation ... :shock:
This is so cool, having spellcheck flag every word. I'm such a tease.
Try setting your language to French. I think Word has a French dictionary built in, and the spell checker takes it cue from the chosen language.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:55 pm

Aww, Perry! Just look to the left of the compose box where all the Emoticons are and click the More Emoticons and Accented Characters link to find most of the needed accented characters, including a schwa (ə, Ə) for those fonts that can display it.
I find it far easier to just set my keyboard for "English-International" and leave it that way. I'm set for at least all the Romance languages at the stroke of a key, everywhere.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:56 pm

Try setting your language to French. I think Word has a French dictionary built in, and the spell checker takes it cue from the chosen language.
Dueling postings!
I wasn't complaining about spellcheck. I don't even know how it got there and don't use it. I just like outwitting The Machine :twisted:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:57 pm

Ooh! I'll have to try that one! I usually add in the Canadian French and the Spanish (International Sort) keyboards and use the Left-Alt-Left-Shift to cycle among them.
Regards//Larry

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:01 pm

Ooh! I'll have to try that one! I usually add in the Canadian French and the Spanish (International Sort) keyboards and use the Left-Alt-Left-Shift to cycle among them.
I'm tellin' ya, International does it all, Romance and umlauts- unless you want to do Danish, print Polish or sashay into Cyrillic.

Think I might try setting to some other language as you suggest though. Just to pi$$ off spell-czech :twisted:

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:10 pm

... dehors de Paris ... C'était une bonne aventure.
I don't think I'm going to touch that translation ... :shock:
Ah. That would be Place Pigalle I think. One of the few places in Paris where English is handed out generously. Or the Bois de Bologne, the woods to the south of the city. My driver told me. No, really. I was amazed. Hey, the viticulteurs don't pay that well.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:01 am

I would have gone with hors de Paris, or pres de Paris. As for the accents, if I changed my language or clicked into the the More Emoticons and Accented Characters, then I would have to remember where to put the accents. French is much more of a spoken language for me.

I never studied enough to write it well, mais débourrer comme je suis, je puis causer avec panache.
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:25 pm

I never studied enough to write it well, mais débourrer comme je suis, je puis causer avec panache.
Tout à fait apropos pour chez nous: Panacheville.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:10 pm

Tout à fait apropos pour chez nous: Panacheville.
Bien joué! :lol:
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”