Caldera

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Caldera

Postby skinem » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:15 pm

cal·de·ra
P
ronunciation: \kal-ˈder-ə, kȯl-, -ˈdir-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Spanish, literally, caldron, from Late Latin caldaria — more at cauldron
Date: 1691
: a volcanic crater that has a diameter many times that of the vent and is formed by collapse of the central part of a volcano or by explosions of extraordinary violence

Just reminded of this when looking at pictures of the last time I climbed Mt. St. Helens...
If anyone gets a chance to go see this place, jump on it. It's really interesting.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:21 pm

Skinny, were you there before or after the blast, I went there about 13 years after it was unbelievable. We were all told that it would never renew itself in our lifetimes, yet in the next few years it flourished, amazing.

mark never-made-it-to-the-caldera,these-feet-were-made-for-sitting Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:38 pm

Skinny, were you there before or after the blast, I went there about 13 years after it was unbelievable. We were all told that it would never renew itself in our lifetimes, yet in the next few years it flourished, amazing.

mark never-made-it-to-the-caldera,these-feet-were-made-for-sitting Bailey
Both--and downwind during the big bang. Most amazing experience I've been through. (Pitch black dark for the better part of two days, ash falling, fire in the sky--looked kind of like the end of the world.)
Climbed it the first year they re-opened it to folks--either '90, or '91. Climbed it again the last time I was there, in 2000.
Areas of it have made incredible recovery. Other areas still really look like the moon.
I'll be back in that area in a month or two--wrong time of year to be climbing it.
But, as I get older, I also am beginning to have the wrong type of body to be climbing it!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:58 pm

so, you must live close, It took us two days on a motorcycle to get there.

mark still-not-that-close Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:44 pm

Lived close up until not long after the eruption (that didn't have anything to do with the move!).
Haven't lived close since, but do still have family and friends in the area. I leave, but they keep pulling me back!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”