Yonder

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Yonder

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:50 pm

A nice word still in use in these h'yar parts (Western NC).
yonder
c.1300, from O.E. geond (see yond) + comp. suffix -er. Now replaced except in poetic usage by ungrammatical that.
yond
O.E. geond (adv., prep.) "beyond, yonder," rel. to geon (see yon).
yon
geon (adj.) "that (over there)," perhaps from P.Gmc. *jenaz (cf. O.Fris. jen, O.N. enn, O.H.G. ener, M.Du. ghens, Ger. jener, Goth. jains "that, you"). Outside Gmc., cognates include Skt. ena-, third person pronoun, anena "that;" O.C.S. onu "he;" Lith. ans "he."
beyond
O.E. begeondan "from the farther side," from be "by" + geond "yonder" (prep.), from P.Gmc. *jandana.

Interesting that that is considered ungrammatical.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:15 pm

A quibble with the critics about dialect., 13 March 2005

Why do all the critics love to attack Tony Curtis for his accent in this movie? (Most frequently citing the line "Yonda lies da castle of my fodda.") Since Curtis's movie acting is invariably entertaining, doesn't he deserve the benefit of a doubt when it comes to the arcane question of what accent is appropriate to a fictional medieval character? The critics have always complained that his accent sounds too American or New York for a medieval knight. But how can the critics be so sure that they are right and the actor is wrong? I mean, what did a genuine English knight of the middle ages really sound like? Have they researched this question?

There were many races of people in England of the middle ages: Saxons, Angles, Normans, Celts, Scandinavians, Picts, Scots, Frenchmen, Jews, even some Moors. Back then, of course, they didn't speak modern English as actors do in almost every American-made movie, so the only issue is whether Curtis's pronunciation of vowels and consonants sounds wrong or right for a medieval knight.

In the Bronx in the twentieth century (Tony Curtis's time and place) there was a mixture of races similar to that of Europe in the middle ages. The pronunciation of the local dialect spoken most likely would have been similar to that of many European languages, including English of several historical periods. Most importantly, if Tony Curtis spoke Yiddish, then he spoke a dialect very similar to medieval languages like Old German or Old English.

It's pretty obvious that the critics had it completely wrong. If there had ever been a real knight of Falworth and we somehow had the opportunity to ask him to pronounce the "offending" line (which was actually the invention of a carping critic and not even in the movie), how might it have sounded? Tony Curtis had it right!
I never saw that movie that I can remember but from some of the reviews I think I'd like to.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”