sneigwh-

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:08 pm

I heard about that ebay snow auction, sluggo. All I can say is that I am a pale, frosty, jealous wreck.

Perry, Asheville pops up regularly on a news board I frequent. I haven't decided yet whether it is a bright spot or one under seige. Before I could make any rash address changes, I would need to know about all y'all's's tornado history!

Compare "Blizzard" logo with Colorado flag

Coincidence? I think not!
-gailr

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:05 pm

I heard about that ebay snow auction, sluggo. All I can say is that I am a pale, frosty, jealous wreck.

Perry, Asheville pops up regularly on a news board I frequent. I haven't decided yet whether it is a bright spot or one under seige. Before I could make any rash address changes, I would need to know about all y'all's's tornado history!
From my very limited time impression from watching weather here I've got a theory that the mountains between here and Tennessee kinda take the wind out of the sails of severe weather as it passes over. Tennessee gets more than its share of strong storms and tornadoes but by the time they get here it's been demasculated. Not that it never happens but it's just a kinder, gentler storm.

On the other hand I'm learning it's impossible to find employment here. I'm being told now it's a retirement haven. Not personal experience but so I hear. Now over to our correspondent Perry White...
= - = - = - = - = - = -
Hey they got Six-Fitty for their snow, and it's only four bucks to ship!? How bad can it be? :wink:
Here it was quite a hoot to see the local paper headlined "Winter Slams WNC!" after two inches -if it was that- of snow. Shoot, I got this much in New Orleans. :cry:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:58 pm

[ I would need to know about all y'all's's tornado history!

-gailr
Ah, but Gailr it's not the past tornadoes you need to worry about, it is the one in your future that might be troublesome.

mark prognosticator-just-guesser Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:03 am

Asheville can be a very difficult place for earning a living wage. But Gail is a women of many talents.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:26 pm

Asheville can be a very difficult place for earning a living wage. But Gail is a women of many talents.
Heartily agreed, and I'd be the last to discourage them :wink:

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:41 am

For all you Asheville fans, I'm currently reading a great book which, among other things, deals with the blackface minstrel shows in Asheville (and elsewhere) in the mid 20's. Yes, I have strange reading habits, I know.

Anyway, Asheville really was quite the hub of cultural and entertainment activity back then. An important fixture on the minstrel and vaudeville circuit. Some very important Okeh recordings were made at the hotel there in 1925. (I know everyone's fascinated to learn this.)

When I drove through there a few years ago, it struck me as being a beautiful but sleepy provincial town, nested in some of the prettiest country on this continent.

Bottom line: better move to Texas, gailr. :-)

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:51 am

For all you Asheville fans, I'm currently reading a great book which, among other things, deals with the blackface minstrel shows in Asheville (and elsewhere) in the mid 20's. Yes, I have strange reading habits, I know.

Anyway, Asheville really was quite the hub of cultural and entertainment activity back then. An important fixture on the minstrel and vaudeville circuit. Some very important Okeh recordings were made at the hotel there in 1925. (I know everyone's fascinated to learn this.)
Hey, sounds good to me.
Funny, the main reason I compassed myself here after Katrina was that it was a hub of culture and entertainment- plus the nestling bits. I had the idea that it was a revitalised industrial town that had slid into decline before the Aquarians moved in. (You remember them, the ones who had their planet plutoed) - well here's yet another opening for the Perster
When I drove through there a few years ago, it struck me as being a beautiful but sleepy provincial town, nested in some of the prettiest country on this continent.

Bottom line: better move to Texas, gailr. :-)

-- PW
Aside to Gailr: Ah just know you've heard of Texas Tornadoes... :wink:

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Or better yet, Gailr move to Chicago, It's ugly but cultured, centrally located, relatavely tornado-free, the weather this year has been warm and snow-free.

mark sly Bailey

kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:48 pm

Bailey, Chicago is disturbingly close to Wiscaaaaahhnson. I've been in Chicago in 'normal' winters, where the tall buildings create a sort of "reverse tornado"--blasting vortices of arctic air down to street level.

It's known as "the city of big shoulders" because of the layers of sweaters surmounted by enormous, down-filled parkas required for survival.

I'll pass, thank'ee.

-gailr

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:44 am

not if you have the sense to avoid the "loop"

mark hanging-in-southern-Chicago-singing-the-babysitter-blues Bailey

kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:45 pm

No snow here yet--haven't even seen a flake. Here, in the past, school has closed in anticipation of snow.
After growing up where 7 feet of snow wasn't unusual I don't mind not having seen any. 68 degrees here, so I don't think we'll see any today.

Global warming isn't all bad. Reminds me of the old joke...
"Scientists today anounced conclusive proof of global warming. Parties immediately broke out in Seattle, Spokane, Anchorage and Fairbanks."

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:39 pm

... Global warming isn't all bad. ...
Hence the dilemma. If I understand the apocalyptic predictions correctly, I'm reasonably assured (here in the Rockies) of being on the right side of catastrophic coastline changes. OTOH, I'm perfectly situated for entombment in the subsequent glaciers. Talk about being between a rock and a cold place...

gailr
who is keeping her first edition of Earth In the Balance handy in case firewood is needed...

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:28 pm

... Global warming isn't all bad. ...
Hence the dilemma. If I understand the apocalyptic predictions correctly, I'm reasonably assured (here in the Rockies) of being on the right side of catastrophic coastline changes. OTOH, I'm perfectly situated for entombment in the subsequent glaciers. Talk about being between a rock and a cold place...

gailr
who is keeping her first edition of Earth In the Balance handy in case firewood is needed...
I could use some of that global warming here right now. It's 32 degrees and raining ice. It's all coming from Canada, of course. Where else? And where the aitch-ee-hockey-sticks is Al Gore when you need him? I'm trying to get all my friends with gas-guzzling SUVs to run their engines non-stop for a day or two in the hope that it'll help some. I called the local sulphur-fired power station, but it appears they're running at 110% already. Anyone know of a rainforest or two we could have razed before Tuesday?

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:41 pm

Hmmm..dry and high of 72 today, supposed to get all the way down to 58 tonight. Brrrrr!
They're saying we're going to have a cold week starting Tuesday, but it's relative. Highs in this next week in the mid-40s. That seems to be what passes for winter around here nowadays.
I can crow now...I'll let you know when you're enjoying your weather and I'm cowering in the basement during tornados...

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:47 am

Well sir, this is the first [edit] city [/edit] I've moved to that didn't have a debilitating tornado within the first week of my residence. I'm not sure what that means, except that there may be something to that whole "gail of november" business after all...
Hey, those are just Gail warnings. Don't fret, just click your heels together and say:
"This snow place, my home... This snow place, my home... "[/quip]
For half my life I've threatened to tie a snow shovel to the roof of my car and drive south until they ask me what it is. For some reason, the opposite keeps happening.
Uh, not sure how to ask this but- how do you know when it's half? :wink:

Return to “Res Diversae”