LITIGIOUS

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

LITIGIOUS

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:46 pm

If it was for fear of litigation that our good doctor refrained from posting this word to a sometimes quarrelsome Agora, he would be advised to note that one can be sued for sins of omission (negligence) as well as for those of commission. In any event, I am glad to finally receive an explanation as to why BD always maintains that he doesn't know squat....

Henri
• litigious •

Pronunciation: li-ti-jês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Inclined to sue for the slightest reason. 2. Related to suing and law suits.

Notes: Today's Good Word, as you might expect in the language of a litigious nation like the US, is replete with a very large family. The adverb is litigiously and the noun, litigiousness. They all come, of course, from the verb litigate, the father of another noun, litigation "suing, suit". Those involved in litigation are litigants while their lawyers are litigators. If you have a case that will stand up in court, it is litigable.

In Play: When you consider that 70% of the world's lawyers practice in the US, among only 5% of the earth's population, you can see where the reputation for litigiousness comes from: "I wouldn't want to quarrel with her; she is so litigious, I always order the same thing she does when we go out to lunch." What does litigation cost the US? About $300 billion a year: "They had worked out an amiable divorce settlement but one of them hired a litigious lawyer and they ended up with $50,000 in legal fees and court costs."

Word History: Today's word is thinly disguised Latin litigiosus "quarrelsome," the adjective of litigium "quarrel, dispute", the noun from litigare "to quarrel." Litigare is a compound of lit- "lawsuit" + ager "to act, do," the root underlying agent and act. Of course, you already know that squat comes from this same root via Old French esquatir "to crush, squeeze out," combining es- "out" (Latin ex-) + quatir "to flatten." Quatir descended from coactus, the past participle of Latin coager "to compress". This verb is made up of co "together" plus the same verb mentioned above, ager "to act, do." (We never quarrel with Katy Brezger's choice of words. We thank her for suggesting yesterday's and today's Good Words.)

曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: LITIGIOUS

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:17 pm

If it was for fear of litigation that our good doctor refrained from posting this word to a sometimes quarrelsome Agora, he would be advised to note that one can be sued for sins of omission (negligence) as well as for those of commission. In any event, I am glad to finally receive an explanation as to why BD always maintains that he doesn't know squat....

Henri
• litigious •

Pronunciation: li-ti-jês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Inclined to sue for the slightest reason. 2. Related to suing and law suits.

Notes: Today's Good Word, as you might expect in the language of a litigious nation like the US, is replete with a very large family. The adverb is litigiously and the noun, litigiousness. They all come, of course, from the verb litigate, the father of another noun, litigation "suing, suit". Those involved in litigation are litigants while their lawyers are litigators. If you have a case that will stand up in court, it is litigable.

In Play: When you consider that 70% of the world's lawyers practice in the US, among only 5% of the earth's population, you can see where the reputation for litigiousness comes from: "I wouldn't want to quarrel with her; she is so litigious, I always order the same thing she does when we go out to lunch." What does litigation cost the US? About $300 billion a year: "They had worked out an amiable divorce settlement but one of them hired a litigious lawyer and they ended up with $50,000 in legal fees and court costs."

Word History: Today's word is thinly disguised Latin litigiosus "quarrelsome," the adjective of litigium "quarrel, dispute", the noun from litigare "to quarrel." Litigare is a compound of lit- "lawsuit" + ager "to act, do," the root underlying agent and act. Of course, you already know that squat comes from this same root via Old French esquatir "to crush, squeeze out," combining es- "out" (Latin ex-) + quatir "to flatten." Quatir descended from coactus, the past participle of Latin coager "to compress". This verb is made up of co "together" plus the same verb mentioned above, ager "to act, do." (We never quarrel with Katy Brezger's choice of words. We thank her for suggesting yesterday's and today's Good Words.)

And, I'm sorry to say, we haven't done squat since this post. What a great word, with interesting meanings, and we haven't done diddly with it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:24 pm

Yupper, another '05 post that went nowhere.
Sins of omission and sins of commision (or crimes if you
will). I don't know much about Law so litigious
is not in my vocabulary too much. Know what it means
but don't use it often.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:25 pm

And I was not here back when the site was
quarrelsome, so comments like that make me
curiouser and curiouser.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----