SOCCER

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

SOCCER

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:13 pm

• soccer •

Pronunciation: sahk-ê(r) • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: A game played by two teams of 11 members each using a round ball that must be moved only with the feet. Only one player can touch the ball with his or her hands, the goalie, who may handle it only in a specific area around the goal. The object of the game is to score goals by kicking, heading, or otherwise pushing the ball into the opponent's goal.

Notes: Soccer is currently the world's most popular sport and more than 39 million girls and women play soccer each year. Today the World Cup Women's Finals will be played between the USA and Japan. Don't miss it! Around the world, this game is known as football, but in the US, Australia, and Canada, they play another game with a pointy-ended ball that is called elsewhere, American football.

In Play: To play this game well requires a mastery of foot skills. Imagine trying to write, drive, or cook with your feet and you can see the challenge. Because there are no timeouts and few set plays, the game also requires a constant creativity that has earned it the moniker: "the beautiful game". It can be played in bare feet on any surface, though level grass is best; all that is needed is a ball and desire. Soccer is played in the street, on the beach, on basketball courts, in 100,000 seat stadiums, by millionaires and by urchins. Its simplicity and ease of enjoyment have made it the second most popular youth sport in the USA where over 6,000,000 kids are currently playing.

Word History: Today's word comes to us through the process of playful abbreviation. The sport itself dates back to at least 43 AD, when it was known as "kicking the bladder". It was first named "fut balle" in the 12th century, when it was played by as many as 100 men on a field. The number of injuries from this play led to several monarchs banning it. Even today fan violence (hooliganism) is so rampant that larger stadiums have jails and courts built into them for processing rioting fans. As the Brits are wont to do, they slangily referred to the game as assoc football, short for association football, then just assoc. By the early 1900s, it had gained an -er, giving us assoccer, which was soon reduced to just plain soccer. (And thanks to alphaDictionary's own Brian Gockley for suggesting and writing today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: SOCCER

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:04 pm

• soccer •

... Even today fan violence (hooliganism) ...
See: Hooligan.

I always liked how the Chinese would charge people with "malicious hooliganism."
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:56 am

British soccer riots fascinate me. The image of Brits has always been reserved. On the other hand, I sometimes catch parliament quizzing (or attacking) the PM on PBS, and I'm astounded at their rudeness. As stultifying as Congress can be, I've never seen tehem shouting at each other as a body. When did parliament lose its civility or did it ever have it. They appear to be hooligans!
pl

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Hooliganism in Parliament

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:41 pm

They often argue like hooligans but they seem to get it right more often than we in the US. (As Churchill once put, "The Americans always get things right—after they've tried everything else.") They have limited elections with limits on election spending and restrict their arguments to serious issues.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:01 pm

That's no fun.
pl

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:05 am

I think the image of Brits as reserved perhaps comes from the historical dramas we export relatively successfully, and even in the Victorian era this did not represent the majority of us citizens of the UK who are inclined (given half a chance) to be a drunken rabble. And I say that in the nicest possible way - we have bad qualities too.

As to our parliamentary conduct I think there are good things about both sides of the pond - I think a fixed term would be a good idea for instance, and we should definitely have a constitution or the equivalent thereof. And whilst Parliament may appear disorderly there is a strict code of conduct - for instance not questioning an opponents integrity. I think on balance having to defend your actions in a relatively fervid atmosphere does more good than harm.
Iain

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:04 pm

......and "shows" like Ascot contribute much.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:41 pm

And Saturday night comedies on PBS, and above all Wodehouse...what would Jeeves say?
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:42 pm

Sure beat all the trash on today, (and for me, reality TV:
which I despise-just personal-but I loathe it.)

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:16 pm

When did parliament lose its civility or did it ever have it. They appear to be hooligans!
I think they've always been uncivil. The front benches have traditionally been two swords' lengths apart, to prevent Members of Parliament from attacking each other physically in the old sword-carrying days.

The closely-confined layout of the House of Commons also contributes to the frenzied atmosphere. When it was rebuilt in the 1850s following the 1834 fire, and again in the 1940s after the WWII bombing, a close layout was deliberately retained to keep the traditional feel of the place.
and restrict their arguments to serious issues.
I think that's being over-generous to them.
I think the image of Brits as reserved perhaps comes from the historical dramas we export relatively successfully, and even in the Victorian era this did not represent the majority of us citizens of the UK who are inclined (given half a chance) to be a drunken rabble.
A very prescient remark! You may have heard about the furniture store that was burned down in Croydon, south London. I know it well, as I travel past it several times a week.
and for me, reality TV: which I despise-just personal-but I loathe it.
Me too. :x

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Reality TV: and it is scripted, not real, it's in the credits.
Yes that furniture store made the headlines everywhere.
What a mess. Hope it stops soon.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:23 am

Luke you've obviously watched more reality tv than I. Never made it to the credits!
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:40 am

No way ! ! !
I just catch the credits when I turn on the TV to
watch whatever show follows the idiots on the reality
show. I have far better things to do with my time.
But thanks for commenting.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:10 am

Calling it a "reality show" is a falsehood. It's not real, any more than wrestling is real (sorry all you WWF fans!)
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:13 am

Still, I do enjoy watching the PBS House of Commons broadcasts. Can't imagine our Congress acting that way, though. Not only that, but if the President had to field questions the way the English PM has to, I doubt he could do it. Just my opinion.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Return to “Good Word Discussion”