Blimey

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Blimey

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:00 pm

• blimey •

Pronunciation: blai-mee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Interjection

Meaning: (Slang) An interjection indicating surprise or an emphatic interjection.

Notes: Today's Good Word is a Briticism not used on this side of the Atlantic. As with all interjections, this one is a lexical orphan. However, it has a variant, gorblimey, a "gutter phrase", as J. R. Ware called it in Passing England (1909).

In Play: You may use this interjection no matter how low-level the surprise: "Blimey! I can't dance; I have two left feet!" Just remember, Americans, it is slang, so use it only when slang is appropriate: "Blimey, it's so cold outsite my moustache froze solid! It's a good thing I had a pint before leaving the pub: now, when it thaws out, I'll get another little nip."

Word History: Today's word is the responsibility of the British, though the Australians have perpetuated it. It is a corruption of either "Blame me" or "Blind me", probably the former. I can remember where "blame it!" and "Dad blame it" were euphemisms for "damn it" down South, so blame seems to be the preferable word for interjections. Blame is a borrowing from French blâmer "to rebuke, criticize", inherited from Vulgar (street) Latin blastemare, an assumed middle stage of Late Latin blasphemare "revile, reproach". Latin borrowed this word from Greek blasphemein "to speak impiously of, to slander", the source of English blaspheme. The root of this word, pheme "utterance", is related to fame, but also to two linguistic terms: phoneme "the smallest unit of linguistic sound" and morpheme "the smallest unit of linguistic sound with meaning". (Blimey, today's Good Word was suggested by our old friend solicitor Susan Liddy-Gates.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

philcredo
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Blimey

Postby philcredo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:43 am

Growing up as a child in the south of England in the 60s I heard this a lot. Often accompanied with "Gaw", "Gaw Blimey!". There's a bit of cockney dialect there. I've always taken this to originate from "God Blind Me!" i.e. "God blind me if this isn't" something or other. Similar to this is "Struth!" or "Gawd Struth!" (God's truth) which was also popular. Somewhat defunct now is "Sfoot!" but I endevour to resurrect it.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:18 pm

"Gor blimey!", which I mention, must be a dialectal variant of "Gaw blimey", following the dialectal pattern for pronouncing law, lor.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:21 am

Headline in The Guardian Feb 26, 2020
Core blimey: how a 62-year-old man planked for eight hours – and what he can teach us
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... rld-record

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:48 pm

I tried planking once but got board.

copyright the comments
Iain

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:58 am

I have done lots of literal planking [if that means putting planks in place while building a house] but I was totally in the dark about playing planking. Having found out what it is, it's not for me.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:03 am

Well Philcredo, I grew up in 60's London and of course blimey and struth are familiar. But what is Sfoot? I have no recollection of that one. What does it mean?

philcredo
Junior Lexiterian

Postby philcredo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:13 am

Sfoot = God's foot. Predates even us!
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%27sfoot

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:20 am

Ahh! A touch before my time forsooth.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”